FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving with Solid State Drives???

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Gilbert
Archiving with Solid State Drives???
on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:19:17 pm

Hello,

Currently our facility uses an LTO archiving solution for all of our projects, which is the most widely trusted and reliable back-up format on the market. However, the problem we are running into with this workflow is time management. We don't have a shared storage solution (yet), so we are using the network to pass files back and forth. Which, thus far hasn't been much of a problem. However, after we have onlined a project, and are ready to kick out the archive files, some projects are reaching the 1TB size. The time it takes to copy the smoke archives, and all related materials, off the online system and then write that to an LTO tape is taking HOURS...hours of valuable time.

One solution we have thought about is keeping archives on Solid State Drives. I know external drives aren't as reliable as tape, but I wonder if anyone has experiment with a Solid State Drive solution. The difference being there are not moving parts in the Solid State presumably making it more reliable long term than traditional drives, and no need to fire them up every so-often. The other issue is cost and space. SSD's are more expensive and offer less space. BUT, it would save HOURS of time of archiving. Instead of having to un-archive off a tape, then copy files back to my system, we could just plug in a drive and go. THOUGHTS?

-Ryan

MacPro, 2x 2.66 GHz, Quad-Core Intel, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, SONNET 4TB RAID 0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]