FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTO-5 drive differences

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clark Severson
LTO-5 drive differences
on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:35:14 am

I currently have a Quantum LTO-3A and want to go to an LTO-5. I see different drives by different manufacturers. I know I cannot read 3A tapes with a 5 unit so I plan on transferring them over the network. Does anyone have an opinion on one manufacturer being any better than another, such as Quantum vs. IBM vs. HP? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: LTO-5 drive differences
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:44:55 pm

Hi Clark,

All of the LTO-5 drives work the same for compatibility and, in our QA labs, they all perform very similarly when fed the same type of data. The key to your decision should be based upon the support that you may need down the line. While all three vendors (and Tandberg Data) support Windows and (for the most part) Linux, only HP offers true OS X support with their tools and devices (which is why we OEM the HP solutions for our bundles).

If you are running Windows, you're pretty safe with all of your listed vendors and price will probably be your driving factor, but if you're on a Mac, you will need to consider how astute you are with the devices. You won't get OS X support from any of the vendors but HP (and us) currently.

Once you decide on a drive, keep in mind that the quality of your tapes is the most important consideration in the long run. Based on 27 years in this industry, we recommend Fujifilm and HP branded LTO media as the highest quality media for long term storage and low drive head wear.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Clark Severson
on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:06:54 am

Thanks Tim, that really helps. I also appreciate the recommendation on tape.

We have OS X machines and Win7 machines in our facility. I am inclined to go for the Windows solution just because the host would be less inexpensive and wouldn't tie up a MacPro.

Regards,
Clark

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:23:59 am

Hi Clark,

While I can definitely follow the logic behind your Windows choice, BRU solutions don't require a dedicated system. You could easily be editing on a Mac Pro and performing BRU archives with the same machine.

I would just say to definitely give NovaBACKUP a look before you spend a lot of money on a Windows solution that's more aimed at email and database discovery backup than the asset storage that you're looking for. Sometimes, simpler really is better :-).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Clark Severson
on Jul 10, 2012 at 5:02:57 am

Thanks for your advice Tim. I will do that. I think my biggest concern is that I will never own another MacPro.

-Clark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]