FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive Assistance

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Nelson
Archive Assistance
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:30:09 pm

I think I've got most of my issues resolved except for the ones that are Avid-related. Hence, I'm also posting this in the Avid forum.

I recently posted a query about a searchable database for Access, as part of our archiving process. As I'm trying to work out other aspects of our post-production workflow, I'm getting a bit frustrated with all of the road blocks I'm hitting. I've basically been given a Quantum LTO-5 tape drive with Symantec Backup software, and have been asked to make it work in harmony with all of our other components so we're able to easily and efficiently re-visit a project if need be.

I'd be grateful for anyone's assistance on this, as much of this is way outside of my comfort zone. I'm a problem-solver to the core, but I'm finding myself dealing with workaround after workaround, causing the process to get more and more complicated. Following are the things I need to take into account while engineering this:

-We deal with many types of media, tapeless and tape-based, but most often work with XDCAM, DSLR, and GoPro hero footage.

-We work off of a Facilis Terrablock, and often our projects span multiple volumes.

-A single machine can locally access the LTO Drive, but this machine also includes an internal 2TB hard drive that is shared across all edit suites.

-We'd like to be able to include all disk-based source footage with the project on the LTO-5, as well as supporting graphic files and such.

---

I've successfully copied a single-volume project to tape and re-visited it without error, with all source media appearing in the project. I'm not sure how to best approach a project that spans multiple Facilis volumes, however, because attempting to move 2 or more volumes onto one causes issues with media locations.

I could consolidate my footage for my sequences onto the single volume, but I'd really like to have access to all of my captured/imported footage not within a sequence as well. Storage space is so cheap now, why just keep the clips that end up in the final sequence? I want to be able to pull the tape, copy the project off the tape to a new edit volume, and have access to all of my clips and sequences with NO batch capturing or importing.

I've tried Automatic Duck's Media copy, but it doesn't seem to be able to tell my new project where the media files are.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long-winded post, I just wanted to avoid initial questions.

BTW
Avid Media Composer 6.0.1
Source files are copied off source disks directly to Facilis volume "source" folder and are then transcoded in Avid after being read via AMA.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Archive Assistance
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:47:07 pm

Unfortunately, if you have to work with what you've got, you're going to remain stuck with a series of workarounds. StorageDNA has an integrated solution for what you want to do called Evolution, but it would represent a significant investment.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]