FORUMS: list search recent posts

Doing Smart Backups of My External Media Drives

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Turner
Doing Smart Backups of My External Media Drives
on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:00:52 pm

Hi!

I am looking for a software solution to start backing up all my media external hard drives automatically.

Basically, what I want to do is this:

I have a 2 TB and 3 TB G-drive both with video files and other media on them that I connect via eSata to edit in FCP, Color, Photoshop. I would like to take equally sized drives, a cheaper 2TB and a cheaper 3TB and at the end of every edit session where I may have updated small files, or added more media, plug in the backup drive and have it update itself with only the new files that were added or removed so it is a copy of my working external drives.

I was told about SuperDuper, but I'm not sure if there is a way to have a "smart" type backup where it is only updating changes on the primary drive to the backup. I don't want to have to write 3TB worth of Data over every single night.

On a side note, although I will probably make this a different post, I wondering what everyone here recommends for storage and backup of Project Files, Autosave Vault, and Render Files. I'm going to start editing on the new MacBook Pro and don't want to save these stuff internally. Do you save it to the external drive you have the media on? Or do you have a separate drive just for these types of files?

Thanks for all your help!

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Doing Smart Backups of My External Media Drives
on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:25:00 pm

Take a look at ChronoSync.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]