FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?
on Mar 8, 2019 at 6:10:48 pm

Folks, this may be a non-starter and seemingly ridiculous question to even ask, yet I am curious what your thoughts are and why.

As with many productions I sometimes we run up against budgets and the cost of storage for backing up and actually working (post-production).

I am working with content from a Sony FS7 shot with a Sony log profile which is outputting mxf files in a card structure I don't fully understand - being that FCP X (and likely other NLEs) just parse through to get to the content.

My question is - after rewrapping content to Quicktime .mov files, copying to a drive, importing to your NLE or what have you, do you keep or feel the need to keep the original card-structured folders. Essentially I have duplicates of now of the same content. The original structure on a hard drive and the rewrapped.

Admittedly not having spent the time to take an analysis approach to the folder structure and files for each clip (full of XMLs, UserData, sub folders, etc.) is there an incentive to keep the originals or is it safe to use the rewrapped files as the new masters and back up those?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]