FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTO-7 capacity issue

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Znaskevich
LTO-7 capacity issue
on Feb 28, 2019 at 2:33:52 pm

Hello Creativecow,

I have brandnew HPE StoreEver LTO-7 Ultrium 15000 external drive plugged through ATTO Thunderlink SH3128 with Thunderbolt 3 to my MacBook Pro (Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3). I'd tried to write my files (most of them are Apple ProRes .mov, .r3d and .dng sequences) to HPE LTO-7 cartridge.

I've used HPE StoreOpen and trials of YoYotta and Bru PE, but every time it write about 2,5 TB and crash with error or eject a tape to load the next one and 'Clean' LED is flashing. I've checked all drivers and firmwares and everithing is newest. Also I've tried to use four other HPE LTO-7 cartridges and different files from different storages plugged via USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Same result. Also it's been making weird noises when about 2TB has written.
What's going on?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
Re: LTO-7 capacity issue
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:21:40 pm

Run HPE LTT (Library and Tape Tools). https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00352573

You can run a diagnostic on your tape drive. If it's brand new and has a cleaning light on you most likely have a defective unit.

Don't try to use any USB 3.0 ports with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter either, it won't work. Most Macbook Pros are all Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C though. I have noticed a trend with Macbook Pro's that the left-side ports are the true TB3.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magstor.com

Return to posts index

Alexander Znaskevich
on Feb 28, 2019 at 8:55:19 pm

Hi Tim, of course I’ve done all tests and all of them was successful. Also I’ve sent support ticket to HPE support, but they had recommend me to install last StoreOpen. But I have same issue. It writes less then 2 TB, eject the tape and flashing ‘clean’ LED after that.

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
on Feb 28, 2019 at 9:23:26 pm

If you're passing all the health and performance in the HP LTT then your ATTO Thunderlink is having issues with your Transport Layer Retries (TLR).

ATTO recommends setting the device from 6G SAS to 3G for better stability. You're still probably going to have some problems though especially if trying to do more than 1TB without a solid TLR. Plus 3G SAS isn't ideal for an LTO7.

HPE is going to point fingers at ATTO and vice versa especially if HPE LTT is showing the drive is healthy. I'd say run a full tape test on HP LTT to see if it craps out after the 2TB+ mark again.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magstor.com

Return to posts index

Alexander Znaskevich
on Mar 4, 2019 at 3:10:56 pm

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your response. I've pluged ATTO to left-side port and runned Read/Write test with 'whole tape' option (there is 64KB block size by default). It's wrote already more than 3TB, and it seems ok. Maybe I may to try BRU PE again with block size 64KB (now there is 256KB)? Do you have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Alexander Znaskevich
on Mar 4, 2019 at 3:25:56 pm

It’s been making strange noise after 3TB like earlier. I will wait little bit more.

Return to posts index

Alexander Znaskevich
on Mar 6, 2019 at 2:35:19 pm

Hello Tim,

Here are the ATTO Thunderlink SH3128 features:
12Gb/s SAS/SATA Support
Auto Negotiation between 12Gb/s, 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s SAS/SATA devices
Supports Serial SCSI Protocol (SSP), SATA Tunneling Protocol (STP, SMP, SAT and direct attached SATA protocol
SES and S.M.A.R.T. support
Flash ROM for easy field updates
Wide port end device support
Support for SAS tape devices and transport layer retires (TLR) for error handling

I've tried again to write my data to new tape with BRU PE, and it's wrote less than 2TB.
I'd tested my RAID with Blackmagick speed test, and it show write/read speed about 300 MB/s. I have no more ideas.

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:06:25 pm

Are you using the RAID through the ATTO Thunderlink too? If the ATTO is downgrading to 3G SAS that would be a reason why the tape drive and RAID can't work together. If the RAID is TB3 use a different port on the left-side, do not daisy chain through the Thunderlink.

In reality it's most likely the ATTO Thunderlink as the culprit because it downgrades you to 3G SAS , but it's hard to prove that to them unless you have a native SAS environment to show the drive works there.
https://www.atto.com/pdfs/FAQ-Connecting-to-LTO-SAS-Tape-Drives.pdf

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
LTO Solutions TB3 / SAS / USB / FC
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magstor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]