FORUMS: list search recent posts

Indexing and Cataloging multiple hard drives.

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Russell
Indexing and Cataloging multiple hard drives.
on May 8, 2012 at 10:14:04 pm

I currently have about 10 hard drives that are back ups with a wide range of files types on them. I am looking for a Media indexing program that will make it not only easy to search but to also then export a PDF or a document of some sort that lists everything on all 10 hard drives. I have tried CD finder, Media Indexer, Neofinder, DiscTracker and all of them are pretty solid but none of them allow me to Export some sort of Text document of all 10 hard drives. I need to be able to send out the PDF or Text document as a list to multiple people for reference.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Rick Sebeck
Re: Indexing and Cataloging multiple hard drives.
on May 10, 2012 at 8:18:32 pm

I to am looking for a way of cataloging hard drives so I can search for files and then know which drive to mount. We are thinking of adding a Cache-A into the mix to also add a level of back-up. But it would still be cool to know which original drive the media came from. So instead of pulling it back in from tape, we could mount the drive (which we keep on the shelves). I know, Iknow - drives on shelves don't last. But when I say drives i mean 4 RAID5 drives that we swap into our OWC enclosures. The RAID5 helps me sleep at night knowing that the chances of two drives going bad at the same time are slightly less. This is why we are considering adding another level of protection with a Cache-A.

But in the mean time - it would be nice to have a database where we could look for files, and know which drive they are on.

There must be something out there right?

-Rick

Editor

Return to posts index

David Parker
Re: Indexing and Cataloging multiple hard drives.
on May 18, 2012 at 6:22:00 pm

You don't specify Mac or PC, on the Mac the one everyone uses is DiskCatalogMaker. (http://diskcatalogmaker.com/) It's been around for ever, is fast, and just works. It does export a txt, which is not so pretty. Better to just share the catalog files, if your recipient is on a mac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]