FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can we go back to XAVC S for archiving? For example

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Can we go back to XAVC S for archiving? For example
on Jan 16, 2019 at 6:33:45 pm

Hi all,
My Sony RX10 generates XAVC S files in mp4 (was mxf) that can have 4k and maybe 10 bit. I convert to ProRes for editing, which makes much bigger files. Is it possible to transcode a show back to something like XAVC S for archiving only not editing?

Or another camera format that would keep as much quality as the ProRes with smaller files?

I realize most camera files are probably proprietary.

Is this a dumb question?

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Can we go back to XAVC S for archiving? For example
on Jan 17, 2019 at 12:01:10 am

Not if you want a high-resolution master for duplication, further editing, etc. Don’t confuse camera original “acquisition” codecs with editing codecs, they are, in most cases, simply very different beasts.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Can we go back to XAVC S for archiving? For example
on Jan 17, 2019 at 6:00:33 pm

Thanks, David. I don't "think" I'm confused about the beasts. Though I don't know much about camera codecs except Long GOP. But my question is could one archive in a smaller camera format which seems to have contained all the quality we wanted to use in the editing format--ie, "back-converting" to a codec with a smaller file size. Your suggestion seems to be that converting to a camera format would then require another re-transcoding back to editing format for further any duplication and additional editing. I suppose, except maybe for those apps like Premiere that claim to work directly with camera formats. I imagine something could be lost in those double transcodings.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]