FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-site Backup, Syncing, Transcoding: Macbook, Thunderbolt, PluralEyes and more!

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Frantz
On-site Backup, Syncing, Transcoding: Macbook, Thunderbolt, PluralEyes and more!
on May 1, 2012 at 4:20:36 pm

Hey all,

I have a small 8 day engagement coming up. Shooting on a 7D, the DP (who is also doing the editing), wants the H.264 encoded footage transcoded into ProRes and synced with the WAV files coming from the sound guy. So, my plan of attack at the moment, is a offload in two locations via shotput pro to two 1TB esata drives (G-Drives) through expresscard 34 esata adapter. I would then manually copy what I just dumped from one of the drives to a FW800 2TB G-Drive. This might be overkill to start with, but there is a method to the madness, I think.

So after the footage is dumped, I planned to go right into syncing w/ PluralEyes (options: try really hard,replace original audio) through FCPX (Did some tests already, FCPX just moves a hell of a lot quicker than 7), then send out to Compressor to have transcoded into ProRes. My thought was if I work from the FW800 drive, I will have the other two drives for when additional footage comes in and I'm still writing the newly encoded ProRes files to the FW800 drive.

If anyone has a better idea on how to do that ^ feel free to let me know.

I also have a Dual CF Expresscard34 adapter (Sonnet) which I was thinking about using with a Thunderbolt Expresscard34 adapter (not yet purchased) as opposed to dumping via USB or daisy-chained FW800. Another option would be to rent an additional macbook to use for the transcoding, but that's kind of a last resort.

Any tips or help refining that workflow would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]