FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cache-A Tape Catalog Error

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
Cache-A Tape Catalog Error
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:39:26 pm

Hi all,

I was performing basic staged transfers of individual Ikegami MXF media directories to a 2 1/2 day old LTO tape when the error message at the link below came up.

tape_catalog_error.jpg

I have contacted Cache-A support (still waiting on a reply), but thought I would try here as well to see how other users might have approached this error. Our Cache-A is out of warranty, and I have a feeling this issue will require a paid, support-connect. How did you handle this?

I have a feeling it might be cheaper to trash the tape and re-archive the directories on it to a different tape.

I sincerely hope this is not an issue that occurs frequently...

Since I may have a captive audience at this point...has anyone doing staged transfers noticed a difference in whether or not a file is dragged and dropped from the transfer folder on the CacheA share to the VTAPE or copy/pasted from the transfer folder of the VTAPE? When I copy/paste I get transfer errors in the CacheA UI log, but dragging/droppoing is successful every time. Seems to me it shouldn't make a difference which method you use as long as theere is plenty of space on the cache share and LTO tape.

Any thoughts/commetns appreciated. Thanks!!

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Cache-A Tape Catalog Error
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:40:07 pm

Hi Lindsay,

The error dialog you got from your Cache-A device "TOC position invalid" tells us that there is no Table of Contents (TOC) file where we recorded it last being written. The TOC location is stored in the cartridge memory chip and is updated upon each session completion.

The only time this error happens is when an archive session is not completed - this may have been due to a power interruption or a system crash during an archive.

While it may be possible for our support engineers to repair such a tape, the easiest way to fix this is to recover all and re-archive it.

I hope this helps!

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]