Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
Re: $149 LTFS LTO Software for Mac
on Sep 19, 2018 at 7:09:49 pm

I'll have to try the trial to see what this thing is about, but I find the lack of documentation on the features very disturbing.

There are no system requirements as to which MAC OS this will run on, or even stating it is MAC software. It says it works on all standalone LTO drives, but a lot of people don't know only LTO5 and above will run LTFS. If they're using the IBM standard LTFS, it doesn't work with all brands of drives either.

Nothing in the features about verification. The main selling point when customers ask me why they need myLTO or YoYotta is that the free stuff isn't going to run verification or keep a log/database of what files were transferred to each tape.

I'm all for more people promoting LTFS and offering new solutions, but I don't know how this one will measure up against the current solutions. If verification isn't there, then I can't recommend it as a viable solution.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magnext.com
NAB 2018 Booth #SL15816

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: $149 LTFS LTO Software for Mac
on Sep 21, 2018 at 4:02:45 am

Canister was in Beta for a while and is now a product. Going by Hedge's reliability it should be a reliable product. It does save MHL checksums and keeps a database on disk. And it also handles bad filenames in and out. I've yet to use it extensively, but for small runs the beta worked flawlessly. I do own Preroll post and Yoyotta.

So, I'd say wherever you need extensive reports and a browsable database, then Yoyotta would be a better choice. But for ease of use, Canister is worth a look at.

This company makes an offload software called Hedge for Mac which I've been using on 9 systems for about a year and a half now. I must have offloaded a couple of petabytes from about 2 dozen feature films on set using Hedge. Its a fast offloader with a simple interface. And it does verification, saves MHL logs, and a human readable report file by file. Hedge is not as featured as Pomfort or Yoyotta, but simplicity is one of its key features. I own both and they have their uses.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]