FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU PE is forcing an archive of less than 2.5 TB onto two tapes

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Vieira
BRU PE is forcing an archive of less than 2.5 TB onto two tapes
on Apr 6, 2018 at 5:13:57 pm

I'm backing up a client's archive (7.5 TB total) onto a few tapes. I've whittled each backup folder down to less than 2.5 TB each. For the first time in the several years I've been using it, BRU PE is forcing me to make 2 volumes per archive. Has anyone else experienced this? The Tolis support is mostly useless, and I haven't been able to identify this problem on other forums. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: BRU PE is forcing an archive of less than 2.5 TB onto two tapes
on Apr 11, 2018 at 4:42:46 am

An LTO-6 tape is capable of holding 2.5 TB, but Bru PE can write about 2.2 TB and not more. That's because there's an overhead for redundancy. This amount is variable depending on the number of files and their size.

So, for instance, if I'm backing up Red raw files, I get to cram a bit more per tape than if I were backing up Arri raw. Because of the way these media is laid out. a 30sec clip in Red Raw is 5-6 files. The same clip in Arri raw is 720 odd files.
But 7.5 TB worth of data no matter what the content, is not going to fit in 3 LTO-6 tapes whether you use Bru PE or any other software.

I would advice making an archive of all 7.5 TB at one go, and let Bru make a set of 4 tapes. But if you must do the sorting yourself, I recommend making folders of 2.00 TB or less, and letting the data spread over 4 tapes.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]