FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook Buying Advice

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Holcomb
Macbook Buying Advice
on Mar 15, 2018 at 4:35:05 am

I have a small budget (<$1500) for a Macbook or Macbook Pro. Goal is to get something to backup footage from a GH5 on a remote/international shoot.

I was in love the form factor of the Macbook 12" but only has one USB-C port and apparently it doesn't have enough juice to push two portable drives on it's own.

2017 Macbook Pro 13" is the same price but has two Thunderbolt 3 ports that push 15 and 7 watts respectively. There are so many adapters and drives that it's making my head spin, but I figure 2 ports means there's less likely to go wrong. Also the faster processor means faster transfers when making backups to a second drive.

Anybody have recommendations on what adapters and drives to use?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
Re: Macbook Buying Advice
on Mar 22, 2018 at 3:53:58 pm

For on set workflow get the MacBook Pro. The ports support Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C so give you a lot more flexibility. There are Thunderbolt camera card readers that you may want to use. Also Thunderbolt 3 RAID's.

Also the MBP has better processor performance.

Martin

CTO

YoYotta.com

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
Re: Macbook Buying Advice
on Mar 22, 2018 at 6:44:07 pm

Definitely just get the Macbook Pro w/ 2x TB3 ports. TB3 ports are the same as USB-C so just get some external drives that are USB-C or TB3. If you're using external hard drives USB-C is sufficient without the need for Thunderbolt speeds.

I recommend G-Tech for external drives. I'm a G-Tech dealer, so I can price them out if you tell me what capacity you need.

Tim Gerhard
MagStor Inc.
614-505-6333
tgerhard@magnext.com
NAB 2018 Booth #SL15816

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]