FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bru Server not reading tapes in the drives for restore or backup

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Lyle
Bru Server not reading tapes in the drives for restore or backup
on Mar 9, 2018 at 1:52:08 pm

Our bruserver will not recognize tapes in either drive for a restore/archive. The system will see the tape in the slot and in the drive under the Library Manager tool. At the beginning of the restore process, the job monitor window shows the system looking for the proper tape in the proper slot, appears to load it, then says “Looking for tape in ‘ntape0’”. After about 15 minutes I get “Couldn’t find tape XXXXX in changer HP”. It has done this with different tapes and restore jobs.

When attempting to archive, it asks “is the tape really a cleaning cartridge?” and a window pops up “No tapes available for writing.”

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as right now we can’t access any archived data.

-Doug

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Bru Server not reading tapes in the drives for restore or backup
on Mar 9, 2018 at 10:10:08 pm

Not really the right place to look for help on this, but that looks like a failed library.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Doug Lyle
on Mar 12, 2018 at 1:30:45 am

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure where else to go for help. I didn't see anything similar to my situation on the Tolis knowledge base, and tech support through Tolis is on the expensive side. I was not involved in the purchase, installation or setup of this archiving system, but backup and restores have become part of my responsibilities so I've been going through on the job training with this issue.

As far as the problem at hand, if I understand the library concept correctly, why would the system have all the information as to what tape the data is on, load that tape from the correct slot to a drive, recognize the tape in the drive, then "change its mind" to say it can't find the correct tape?

If it is a failed library, any suggestions for a resolution?

Thanks
-Doug

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:44:15 pm

Hmmm, your data's worth how much to your organization?

We are constantly comparing our support prices against similar options out there and we are by far the least expensive option for a true client - server backup and archival solution. Remember, when you purchase a support plan from a vendor, you are gaining access to people with years of experience with the product and environment and that does not come free. Some have commented that support should be free for software that you've purchased. If you need to call a consultant to sort out a system problem, does that consultant work for free? After all, you've already paid for the systems. When you edit projects, do your editors work for free? After all, you've already paid for the editing software. Does the person that answers your phones work for free? After all, you've already paid for your phone system. Why is it that so many people are now expecting other forms of assistive work to be provided for free?

As to an answer to what's happening with your library, that is one of the things that our experience brings to the table. Our team knows how to troubleshoot each component and can give you the information that you need to go back to your hardware vendor so that they don't waste your time by pointing fingers. We give you the details - down to a SCSI command if that is what it takes - to let the hardware vendor know exactly what is occurring with their part of the equation.

Having said that, as a general rule software is only as successful as the hardware it's talking to. If we try to read a tape and fail, it's generally because the read of the tape failed, and that is usually because the drive is not responding to the software's commands, the drive is bad, or the tape is bad (least likely in this case). If you call a friend that you speak with regularly and they don't answer, it doesn't mean that you are broken or that you used the phone system incorrectly. It simply means that they didn't answer your call - maybe their phone is broken.

Some silly analogies there, I'll admit, but providing support means that a business must hire and pay support staff. And since our support staff (down to their admin) have very broad knowledge of tape operations on multiple systems, combined with very specific knowledge of our software, they're not an offshore call center with a guidebook that that we pay pennies per call to process, read a generic response and send you on your way.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]