FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange slow transfer rate.

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mauro Moreira
Strange slow transfer rate.
on Jan 17, 2018 at 10:40:27 pm

Hi, i have a Quantum Superloader 3 LTO 6 and Yoyotta and i`ve been using this setup for more than 1 year without any problem.
Recently I re-started the archiving of a project, basically a lot of CinemaDNG sequences. I said re-started beacause i already did almost 50% of the archiving process in 2017 August-September (archiving the same CinemaDNGs), and this process was done in the average speed of LTO6 (120-160mb/s) and without any issues.
This week I tried to archive one more tape, but the transfer rate is 1mb/s.

Besides those bunch of CinemaDNG files, the transfers are great (I backup Red Raw, MOV, etc everyday).

I think i've tested everything in my knowledge so i`m here trying to find any help.

Things tested (none of the tests showed a rate faster than 1mb/s):
- Upgrade and Downgrade of Yoyotta
- Upgrade of the ATTO 644 HBA Card firmware
- Upgrade of the ATTO 644 HBA macos driver
- Upgrade and Downgrade of the MacOS (El Capitan, that i used in 2017, and Sierra)
- Tried almost 10 different LTO 6 new tapes
- Tried all Yoyotta settings
- Tried with compression on/off
- Tried using other Mac
- Used Yoyotta and Pathfinder to test the source speed, reaching more than 200mb/s when copying to other SSD/HD.
- Tried to change the source (copied some of the files to a new HD Thunderbolt and to a new SSD)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
Re: Strange slow transfer rate.
on Jan 18, 2018 at 2:16:50 am
Last Edited By Salvador Garza on Jan 18, 2018 at 3:10:43 am

Hi Mauro,

Can you tell us a little bit more about your system, what kind of mac, how you’re connecting to the autoloader, any other peripherals that might be sharing the bus, etc.

How big is each CDNG? Where are they located? Directly attached storage? Network share?

Salvador Garza
http://salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Jan 18, 2018 at 12:26:30 pm

Hi Salvador, thanks for your reply.

My setup is:
MacOsx 10.12.6
Atto H644 HBA SAS
Quantum Superloader 3 LTO 6 (connected with my mac through a 6 g/s SAS cable)

Each CDNG is about 3.4mb.

What kind of peripherals could share the bus? There's only 2 pci beeing used, one for the ATTO HBA and another for the GTX 960 graphics card.

Whats the most strange thing to me is that i've already did the same kind of archinving using this same system and without a problem. The only thing that changed between was the Yoyotta version and the MacOs version. I just did a 917gb archiving with full speed (but with Red Raw instead of CDNG).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Jan 18, 2018 at 2:47:44 pm

Just to add that we have tested writing sequences of the same 3.4MB files to LTO-5, LTO-6, LTO-7 and LTO-8 here at YoYotta and they all run at full speed.
Also Mauro has performed the same write tests using the Finder to drag and drop the files to tape and this is also slow.

We're going to perform some LTO drive tests.
Meanwhile any ideas are welcome.

Martin

CTO

YoYotta.com

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
on Jan 18, 2018 at 11:10:50 pm

Thanks for the additional info Mauro and Martin.

Mauro, have you tried adjusting the Max IO transfer size of your ATTO HBA through the ATTO Config Tool?

Does YoYotta allow you to specify a buffer size?

Salvador Garza
http://salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Jan 23, 2018 at 1:08:27 pm

Hi Salvador,
I did not try changing the MaxIO transfer size. What size do you suggest?

YoYotta does not allow to specify a buffer, i think it does it automatically.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Jan 31, 2018 at 6:24:56 pm

Hi, just to update:

I couldn't get any faster than 1mb/s using the combination of: MaOS (El Capitan, Sierra), Superloader 3 LTO 6, Atto H644 HBA (various drivers and firmwares), Yoyotta (various versions) and CINEMA DNG files (or any type of image sequences). The system seems to work very well with other file types.

I tried using another hardware setup: IMac, OS Sierra, Quantum LTO6 HH, Atto Thunderlink 1068, Yoyotta and the same Cinema DNGs, and the speed was around 160mb/s!!!

The next test i used this same "new" setup, but using a Macbook, OS High Sierra, Quantum LTO6 HH, Atto Thunderlink 1068, Yoyotta and the speed was, again, 1mb/s.

I tried a lot of ATTOs transfer rates, but nothing changed.

All these tests made me think that the issue might be the relation between Yoyotta and MacOs Version?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]