FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie drives do not work on all iMacs

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Fries
LaCie drives do not work on all iMacs
on Jan 3, 2018 at 11:26:37 pm

I'm having problems getting all of my LaCie drives to open on my three iMacs. I have two LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 2 drives (2015) and a new LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 drive (2017), and all of them are 20TB. With the two 5big drives I use one to edit with and the other as a clone. All of the drives are formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled, but only the new drive works on all three computers.

In addition, I have three iMacs that I use at the office to edit. All three computers have macOS Sierra and the 2017 version of Premiere Pro; the main editing computer is a late 2015 and the other two are late 2013. The older LaCie drives only open up on the 2015 iMac, but the newer LaCie opens up on all three iMacs. We cannot figure out why this is the case? We have reached out to a few people who indicated that it could be a corrupt file that is causing this error. We are thinking of backing up the drives, reformatting them, and then putting the assets back on the drives. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Patrick Fries
Director/DP
Arrowhead Films
Austin, Texas 512-302-1100

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: LaCie drives do not work on all iMacs
on Jan 11, 2018 at 1:34:36 pm

As a possibility, are these formatted MacOS Extended Journaled with GUID partition?
And not MS-DOS FAT32 or Apple Partition Map? I'm referring to the partition not the format. Disk Utility should tell you.

Also, is any of these Macs running Mac OSX 10.11?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Jun 14, 2018 at 10:10:15 am

Neil,

For my edification, how should the drives be formatted for OS (current system is Sierra) use?

and why did you inquire about the GUID aspect?

Also.... a client asked us to use his 10TB drives. as archiving drives.
What is considered correct format for these drives and archiving purposes?

tnx,
Hal

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 14, 2018 at 3:42:44 pm

new Mac systems that have SSD boot drives will format with the new Apple APFS file format, not HFS+.
If your drive is formatted with AFPS, this cannot be read on an Mac with an older operating system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208033

from the above doc -
•APFS requires macOS High Sierra. Earlier versions of the Mac operating system don't mount APFS-formatted volumes.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Jun 15, 2018 at 1:55:20 pm

Thanks, Bob.
With the operating SSD (Sierra OS) , will there be any issues reloading the SSD after a crash from the Bootable external HDD that is formatted OS extended (journaled) GUID partition map? (assume I am using Carbon Copy Cloner, for example.... although haven't settled on backup utility... any recommendations?).

Hal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]