FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skip LTO-7 for LTO-8 in 2018-2019?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
Skip LTO-7 for LTO-8 in 2018-2019?
on Dec 10, 2017 at 2:28:25 pm

I've been using LTO-6 since 2013. Great 4 years of archive with over 2000 tapes and growing. The HP drive is still working great. But the data is getting bigger than ever before, especially raw 4K and high frame rate production and post production archives. 2.5 Tb/tape is simply a bit too little for 50-100 Gb average per session backup. Plus it takes up too much storage space. LTO-7 is good but only double the native capacity. LTO-8 looks pretty attractive at 12 Gb native. This will match the current 12 Gb Barracuda Pro for archive nicely. Any thoughts on LTO-7 & 8 for heavy data (~200 Tb/month) usage?

Return to posts index

Rachael Busher
Re: Skip LTO-7 for LTO-8 in 2018-2019?
on Dec 11, 2017 at 8:38:55 am

I'm no expert on LTO (actually came here to ask questions more than give answers) but I thought the news release talking about M8 formatted tapes was very interesting. If not familiar, that's the use of an LTO7 tape, formatted specially in an LTO8 drive, giving 50% more capacity for the money making them slightly cheaper than LTO6 per TB. (not enough to make up the difference in cost for my use, but likely to improve more and more over time) What I do know about LTO8 is it's a bigger jump from the past - no longer compatible for even reading LTO6, and if you do that M8 format for an LTO7 tape it doesn't read on an LTO7 drive either.

If you were desperate for both speed and capacity LTO8 using LTO7 tapes with M8 format sounds like a good deal though.

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Dec 11, 2017 at 5:26:59 pm

Sam,

LTO-7 will give you ~ 2.3x capacity and 1.8x write speed compared to LTO-6, which is a great increase.
The drive cost is reasonable and it can read/write LTO-7 or LTO-6 and read LTO-5 tapes.

LTO-8 has the same write speed of ~ 300MB/s as LTO-7 (unless you get a much more expensive full height library drive and then just 20% faster)
Formatting an LTO-7 tape as M8 gives ~8.5TB and is a clever idea, but the fact that it exists suggests that true LTO-8 media will be expensive and/or delayed ?

So to archive 200TB per month today rather than using a single LTO-8 drive I would suggest a dual LTO-7 drive library. Then unattended you can create master and safety archives of large data sets in parallel . Plus the drives will be able to restore any existing LTFS archives. Also your new archive will be readable by many more drives.

You mention 2018/2019 and by then LTO-8 drives and media will be readily available, so of course it will be a different story. Also in 2019 we will probably see LTO-9 !!

Best,

Martin

CTO

YoYotta.com

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Dec 12, 2017 at 1:53:47 pm

>>... a dual LTO-7 drive library. <>Formatting an LTO-7 tape as M8 gives ~8.5TB and is a clever idea, but the fact that it exists suggests that true LTO-8 media will be expensive and/or delayed ?<<

Although it's an economical plan, I'm just not sold on long-term compatibility. Rather stick with the real LTO-8 media than LTO-7 M8 for now until M8 has been proven in the real world for compatibility.

I'll take your advice and won't skip LTO-7 due to large existing LTO-6 tape media.

After further reading, LTO-8 and LTO-6 media are not interchangeable (MP & BaFe), I'm speculating that wide adoption of LTO-8 will be very slow from all of the customers primarily because of backward compatiblity . This in turn will keep the high drive and media prices much longer than normal. 12 Tb native on LTO-8 is very appealing but it also will need further investment of LTO-7 and LTO-8 drives for existing and future tape libraries. I have thousands of LTO-6 tapes which I do not want to discard them to LTO-8. LTO-6 tapes are still very useful for many situations despite the larger # of tapes needed. I'm now spending thousands per month for 12 Tb Barracuda Pro hdds. They're fast but wasteful for less accessed data. Investing in LTO-7 & LTO-8 drives is still much cheaper in the long run when data approaches petabyte scale - which I'll achieve within a year at about 200 Tb/month average.

For my situation, it will have to be LTO-7 for compatibility on LTO-6 media and LTO-8 and beyond for future larger capacity. When LTO-8 is ~$70, I'll migrate from LTO-6 while still using LTO-6 media on LTO-7 drives. This should give me maximum return of investment when LTO-6 was about $100/tape back in late 2013.

Return to posts index

Doug Hynes
on Dec 12, 2017 at 4:32:17 pm

Hi Sam - sounds like you've done your homework. Your last point was something I was going to mention - migration. At some point you will most likely want to move the content on your LTO-6 tapes onto newer generation media in order to continue accessing/restoring it long term. Skipping to LTO-8 would make that process more complicated and costly as you'd have to restore content to disk first (from LTO-6 tapes in LTO-6 drives), then re-write from disk to new LTO media using later generation LTO drives. That's a lot of steps, time and disk space ! As an FYI, we offer a fully automated tape to tape migration tool which eliminates the need to restore files to disk at all. Good luck and feel free to contact me for details or answer any questions you might have.

Doug Hynes
StorageDNA, Inc.
http://www.storagedna.com

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:45:00 am

>>> After further reading, LTO-8 and LTO-6 media are not interchangeable (MP & BaFe),

As Sam says there are two types of tape available for LTO-6. On the label you will see either Metal Particle or Barium Ferrite. Ideally all tapes would all be BaFe, but only some manufacturers are able to make tapes with this technology.
An LTO-8 drive could probably read a BaFe LTO-6 tape, but not a MP one.
So for LTO-8 they decided to not read any LTO-6.
This isn't great, but was the right decision as it would add confusion.

So LTO-8 only reads one previous generation, whereas LTO-9 will revert to reading two previous generations.

Meanwhile when buying LTO-6 media always get BaFe as this is an improved technology. (We supply IBM media as they are all BaFe)

Martin Greenwood

CTO

YoYotta.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]