FORUMS: list search recent posts

(procedural not technical) adding revision files to a project already archived?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
(procedural not technical) adding revision files to a project already archived?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 12:15:31 pm

This questions is part video archive, part digital collection management, part post-production workflow.

I'm doing a graduate school project in digital preservation which is a case study of a philanthropic organization and the way they archive their video projects. (We'll be making recommendations based on the OAIS model or frankly a low rent version of same. I'm not trying to be flip just honest.) There is no staff video archivist at the organization and the person riding heard on the video archive is responsible for about five other missions.

So here's the question… this organization has stringers & shooters (in the field) who along with various vendors produce and submit finished projects i.e. videos & original elements. Once those videos are distributed, then new versions might be made later -or- parts/shots of the original video might be repurposed by local staffers. Thanks to a recent investment, let's assume that the submitted legacy vendor projects are archived safely off to the side. (I know that's a big leap of faith:)

The two 8TB drive's that used to represent the video archive are now free to become working drives, to source from for creating new and hybrid versions/derivatives. I'm trying to think of a way to maintain the integrity or wall between the original submitted/retired project, and the new work - derivatives that source from it. The editing software would be Adobe Premiere. One thought is to have one drive with the legacy folders/projects and another drive dedicated to new elements that are generated/collected in the creation of new derivative projects. (The same separation might be achieved with separate folders on the same drive.) The two folders come together organically in the editing interface, but separate directories are maintained for archiving and record keeping. (Of course the new work will need to be archived once it is no longer a 'working project') Thoughts?

Paul Dougherty

p.s. Although new to the archival world I am a seasoned post production person, involved with launching Avid Media Composer so I have some bkg re. video and digital workflows.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: (procedural not technical) adding revision files to a project already archived?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 4:11:38 pm

This is a perfect scenario for using tape as the long-term legacy/completed project content.

By segregating the legacy components onto tape, you don't have to worry about cross contamination regardless of the status of derivation works or new media. The legacy components are always a restore away (not as complex or time consuming as some would have you believe). And, you don't need to maintain long term spinning disk collections since a tape can sit unpowered and unaccessed on a shelf for many, many years.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: (procedural not technical) adding revision files to a project already archived?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:31:54 pm

Thanks Tim, good call but I'm asking on behalf of an institution that might not have the budget or computer chop's to manage tape

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]