FORUMS: list search recent posts

"No suitable tape drives found!" upgrading to Quantum LTO-7

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Doyle
"No suitable tape drives found!" upgrading to Quantum LTO-7
on Apr 20, 2017 at 5:50:39 pm

I just purchased a Quantum LTO-7 Tape Drive (TC-L72BN-AR) to replace the Quantum LTO-5 drive we've been using for several years. We use LTFS to format the tapes for drag-and-drop archiving.

The drive is recognized in Windows BUT the LTFSConfigurator gives a "No suitable tape drives found! Attach a supported LTO tape drive and then refresh the list..."

The drive is recognized in Windows Device Manager:

I've tried several versions of the LTFS software including the one Quantum provides (here) and recent versions of HP OpenStore (3.1.0 and 3.2.0). No version seems to recognize this tape drive.

The LTO-5 drive still works and is recognized by all versions LTFS software (can only connect 1 or the other to my SAS card).

In case it matters my SAS card is an LSi SAS 9212-4I4E

Any help/insights appreciated!

Return to posts index

Benjamin Doyle
Re: "No suitable tape drives found!" upgrading to Quantum LTO-7
on Apr 22, 2017 at 6:53:47 pm

Resolved.

Quantum has 2 different versions of LTFS Configuration software on their site: Model B and Model C. Model C software is required for LTO-7 drives; I was trying to use Model B (from the LTO-5 installation).

The Model C software works much differently than the Model B software but it works and it's backward compatible with my LTO-5 tapes.

Unfortunately the Model B software can't be installed at the same time as the Model C version so I can't operate my LTO-5 drive without uninstalling/reinstalling software.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Doyle
on Apr 22, 2017 at 6:55:52 pm

To add, both Model B and Model C are available from Quantum here:
http://www.quantum.com/serviceandsupport/softwareanddocumentationdownloads/...

Return to posts index

Rayjohn Tagayon
on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:20:34 pm

Hi benjamin, noob question: but how do you connect the tape drive to the computer, we're planning to buy the same quantum tape drive you have and start archiving. Just want to learn the basics first.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Doyle
on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:33:18 pm

You'll need a card with an external SAS connector. Most of these cards are Controller cards. I'm using an LSI 9212-4i4e RAID Controller Card.

Depending on the generation of LTO you want to use, you'll need to ensure your SAS card meets the spec. For LTO-7 you'll need a 6Gb/s SAS connection.

I learned most of what I needed from a Cow article a few years ago:
https://library.creativecow.net/article.php?author_folder=kobler_helmut&art...

Feel free to respond here or PM me if you have any more questions.

Return to posts index

Rayjohn Tagayon
on Apr 27, 2017 at 12:09:41 am

Thanks, I've read into the article you mentioned and have a fairly good idea how things are gonna work out when we order the tape drive and tapes (and the SAS card you recommended).

I'll be doing the backups on a windows machine, too. So upon reading I take it BRU is a good software to use when you're working on on-going projects while LTFS is your go-to format for projects that are already done, in my opinion, at least, because you have little chance of going back into it again immediately. And seeing that you use LTFS yourself, I think that's what I'm gonna use, too.

Just some questions, how fast does backing up to an LTO-7 tape go, like for example I'll copy a 1.2 TB DPX file into it, normally it'll take me 3 hours just to copy it from one drive to another, will it be faster using LTO-7? Also, I've looked into the tapes used for the tape drive and normally it says 2.5TB Native/6.25 TB Compressed, what do you think this means.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Benjamin Doyle
on Apr 27, 2017 at 12:23:24 am

In my opinion trying to use BRU and LTFS could become an issue since the tapes are formatted differently (BRU has a proprietary format).

I used LTFS because it doesn't require a particular software to use it (LTFS is an open standard) and we already have a decent media management/archiving solution for our company.

You might look into PreRoll Post if you need archive management and want to use LTFS
http://www.imagineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id...

Return to posts index

Benjamin Doyle
on Apr 27, 2017 at 12:25:22 am

Regarding speed: LTO-7 is way faster than LTO-5 and I'm really glad I upgraded. I get about 245MB/s average on LTO-7. LTO-5 was slow to begin with (~145MB/s peak) and often slowed to halt during reads/writes.

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
on May 2, 2017 at 4:07:58 pm

Benjamin,

Looks like you already resolved your issue. Just to elaborate a little further, the Quantum LTO5 was an HP made drive. B = HP, C = IBM with Quantum. Going forward only IBM is making LTO7's, so the B will be phased out eventually I'm sure.

I also recommend PreRollPost to anyone trying to backup w/ LTFS. LTFS is non-proprietary so you can't be held hostage by the software down the road.

If anyone finds that connecting by SAS is too much of an issue, we offer Thunderbolt connected drives at magstor.com

Tim Gerhard
Magnext
614-433-0011 x114
tgerhard@magnext.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]