FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot Authenticate BRU PE

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Olsen
Cannot Authenticate BRU PE
on Apr 10, 2017 at 7:03:13 pm

Just got the new build, and cannot authenticate using correct user/pass when opening the app. Never had this issue before!

Is anyone else having this problem?

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Cannot Authenticate BRU PE
on Apr 11, 2017 at 2:15:47 pm

Any update on this Dan? I was going to move our Bru Mac to El Capitan in the next week, but caught your post and a few others having this authentication issue. Did you update to (3.1.23 build 359)?

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on Apr 11, 2017 at 3:02:05 pm

No, no update yet, at least not from a "fix" standpoint.

I will mention that I have never changed the admin user name or pass on my mac running BRU PE, so this is not a case of BRU PE wanting the user/pass for when the app was initially installed. I also tried opening an earlier version of BRU PE hoping that it wasn't affected, but it appears that it is--3.1.18 had always been relatively stable for me, but now that version is rejecting my user/pass as well.

FWIW, I'm also running Yosemite 10.10.5.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Apr 11, 2017 at 6:25:07 pm

Thanks for the update. Have you opened up a support ticket with Tolis Group yet? I'm running 10.10.5 as well. Could your keychain have been corrupted after the last Apple Security update?

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on Apr 12, 2017 at 4:16:16 pm

Thanks Andy, I have opened a support ticket with TOLIS, those guys are great and incredibly knowledgable, and the fact that they are savvy on the software and hardware side is hugely important. I've dealt with finger pointing between software and hardware vendors (HPE support is the worst!) concerning LTO in the past and it was one of the most frustrating situations I've ever dealt with in my professional career.

Anyway, waiting to hear back from them. I don't think it had anything to do with a security update--running BRU PE is this mac's only job, so I never run any updates unless TOLIS explicitly suggests such. Seems like Apple's changes have been causing them quite a headache recently.

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on Apr 12, 2017 at 4:54:15 pm

Should also note that I removed & re-installed BRU PE using the current package on the downloads page and the user/pass worked fine authenticating for the installation, still no such luck when opening the app though.

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on Apr 17, 2017 at 3:38:51 pm

Any luck on your end Andy?

Got a new build from TOLIS but didn't fix the issue. Also I'm not getting any job progress information, and the "how many tapes" feature isn't estimating correctly now (we have 2 LTO-6 drives)...yikes

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Apr 17, 2017 at 4:13:36 pm

Hi Dan,

I put our BRU update on hold while we work through some other server issues with our LTO tape robot. The system that has BRU installed is mainly for older LTO tape retrieval, and one off LTO backups. Since we are not seeing the permissions issues right now, I didn't want to rush into the update. Just installing the new build fixed the permissions sign in issue for you, but now you are seeing other oddities..... very frustrating as BRU has been pretty rock solid for us in the past. If I get a chance to make the upgrade this week, I'll let you know if we run into any similar issues. I'll be moving to El Capitan so that might be a little different from your Yosemite install.

Andy

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on Apr 17, 2017 at 4:46:02 pm

Thanks Andy, just clarifying that the new build did not fix the permissions issue. I am still not able to authenticate.

The other two issues were also existent in 3.1.23, and I let TOLIS know. Unfortunately, zero of the three issues were fixed in the new build I was sent last week, even though it was specifically supposed to fix all of them...

Return to posts index

James Vorley
on Apr 17, 2017 at 4:55:08 pm

Seeing same issue here - updated to 3.1.23 to fix the sudo restore bug but now just can't authenticate.

For now I'm just clicking cancel and not authenticating. Only problem is some restores abort after hitting BRUMAXWARNINGS value due to permissions issues but BRUMAXWARNINGS value can be manually edited to a higher value.

Andy out of interest what is your autoloader hardware & software setup? Backup or Archive (or both)?

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Apr 17, 2017 at 5:22:29 pm

Hi James,

Are you using Yosemite like Dan or a different OS?

We have a XEN Data 116 cartridge robot with a SSD cache server. It's all tied to our MAM system for user retrieval of archive footage and backups. When it works, it's great.....but we have had major challenges and frustrations getting it all integrated properly.

Return to posts index

James Vorley
on Apr 17, 2017 at 5:43:59 pm

10.10.5 here.

What issues have you found with the XENDATA?

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Apr 17, 2017 at 6:29:12 pm

Thanks for the OS confirmation.

LTO tape jams, reliability to stay connected to our MAM system, needs a lot of rebooting to clear the issues.

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on Apr 18, 2017 at 3:38:34 pm
Last Edited By Dan Olsen on Apr 18, 2017 at 3:59:22 pm

Just went to restore files from an archive written without authenticating BRU PE, and I'm getting nailed with "can't access for write: errno = 13, Permission Denied".

Apparently BRU is just unable to set ownership and files can be restored, though.

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on May 17, 2017 at 10:26:48 pm

Updating this, saw in another thread that a user was able to authenticate after entering the same (denied) password multiple times. Lo and behold, after 4 denials, I'm able to authenticate (apparently) on the 5th try. Very strange. Hoping all of this gets sorted and we can have a stable, fully operational version soon...

Return to posts index

Dan Olsen
on May 24, 2017 at 5:34:05 pm

Scratch that last message. Despite getting into BRU PE without the "non-authenticated mode" message after entering the correct password 4 times, it still appears that BRU PE is not actually authenticating.

Just ran an archive and then a restore of the same archive, and I'm still getting all of the "permission denied" warnings in the restore window. Damn.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on May 24, 2017 at 6:55:04 pm

Hi Dan,

I just updated our LTO Library Mac to El Capitan and BRU PE version 3.1.23 build 359. The Mac OS upgrade was not a clean flush and fill to save time, so just updated on top of Yosemite 10.10.5. We are using an old Mac Tower with a ATTO SAS H680 card hooked up to the external LTO 6 drive. After the software update the user account authenticates and loads the catalogs. I've asked the librarian to bring back a couple files from archive to see if we have the same permissions issues you are having. Might be a day or two before she responds, but will post back on what we are seeing.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]