FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTO-6 LTFS Offline attribute issues

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Rooney
LTO-6 LTFS Offline attribute issues
on Mar 2, 2017 at 2:56:10 am

Hi!

I'm a noob in the world of LTO. I recently switched from Win 7 to Win 10 and have the problem, that my LTFS tapes aren't mounted as offline anymore. This worked well in Win 7 but now in Win 10 it doesn't work. So when changing to a folder on the LTFS tape, the LTO drive is scanning the tape back and forth to catch all informations of the files (thumbnails, creation data, filesize etc.) which can go for more than 10min. The only thing that helped was to globally turn off thumbnails in Win 10 but when changing folder on the LTFS tape, the drive still is rewinding (but it does take less time).

I then tried to set the +O attribute manually, but it then says that this attribute is incorrect. Has MS removed the "O" (offline) attribute from Win 10?
I also checked that in the HPE StoreOpen Standalone application under "advanced options" the box "Disable thumbnails to improve performance, by marking all files as offline" is checked.

I would appreciate any help.

My System Data: Windows 10 pro 64bit, HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250, HPE StoreOpen Standalone 3.2.0

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
Re: LTO-6 LTFS Offline attribute issues
on Mar 10, 2017 at 2:15:55 pm

Hi Mike,

The past week, I have been struggling with various LTFS issues within Windows 10, Server Essentials 2012 R2, and Server Essentials 2016. (I described my issue in more details https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/330/2344.

Long story short, many times when I would drag and drop multiple files over to the tape drive, the tape would write at a fast speed for several seconds, then pause, rewind, pause, fast-forward before continuing writing. This made file copying so much slower.

Anyway, I've been trying this setup with Windows 7, and so far things are working well with no unexpected interruption between files.

I'm not sure if my problem matches what you're experiencing in Windows 10, but I wonder if Windows 10 doesn't handle LTFS as well as 7 does?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]