FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding greater redundancy

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Adding greater redundancy
on Jan 26, 2017 at 7:48:28 pm

For our media server we have (2) 16 bay arrays. One 48Tb and the other 64TB, both set up as RAID 5. This has been running great over the years but we have had a couple of drive failures but we where able to get things restored to normal with a spare drive. This is a mission critical server and I have been asking for more redundancy. I just don't know the best way to go about doing this. (cost being the major factor)

This is in a broadcast situation but not the playout server, we don't do much editing but I have about 5 users that are pulling MXF XDCAM HD422 files to Preimere. Programs are qc'd, fixed, segmented and we also embed CC into files. Most files are simply passed on. This also has all the VOD versions of the programming. All of the programming will get archived to tape after it goes to air but there are a lot of programs that are in the qc queue that are not archived. If we lost either one of the arrays we would be in a world of hurt, weeks of work would be lost.

One cost effective solution I can think of would be to buy (32) 8TB drives and copy all of the files from both of the above arrays to a single 128TB array set, and then build the second to match. While moving all the data from the 2 existing to a new single would not be an issue, I don't know how to mirror the 2nd 128 TB array once the first is already built.

This is a Mac Pro server (old tall silver tower)

Any advice would be welcomed.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Adding greater redundancy
on Jan 27, 2017 at 4:05:22 pm

if you buy 32 8TB drives, simply purchase two 16 bay RAID chassis, and run any simple cloning program
like Carbon Copy Cloner, Good Sync, Super Duper, Chronosync, etc.
How do you avoid buying two empty RAID chassis - simple answer, you don't avoid this purchase.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]