FORUMS: list search recent posts

Catalog missing

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan davies
Catalog missing
on Jan 12, 2017 at 4:04:48 pm

Hi

I'm really fed up with the clunkiest archiving machine in the world. The Pro-Max Cache-A. Spent a fortune on it to back up rushes and projects and I can't get any help from Pro-Max unless I pay. How miserable are they making me feel and never wanting to buy their products again. There's my moan.
The problem is I use Neofinder which is great and it can import Cache-A xml catalog files so I can go search for any file I like. All was going well as I copied a catalog rar file from the Cache to my desktop. I unzipped it and then began importing the xml files into Neofinder. All was going well and then I was finished. It was then that I noticed there were no catalogs for tapes from a few months ago. I tried to backup the catalog from the web interface of the Cache-A System Tools. Nothing happened although it did create a folder called Catalog Backup on the Cache-A hard drive. The funny thing is from the Cache-A user interface I can see the catalog and see all the files of the most recent archives so I assume the data is stored on the Cache-A device somewhere but I can't see it.

Any suggestions or help would be really welcome.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Catalog missing
on Jan 14, 2017 at 4:03:36 pm

Hi Jonathan,

The catalog backup you made from the Cache-A system tools was strictly intended for restoring a lost or fatally corrupted catalog back onto the Cache-A. I'm not sure where you are getting this "catalog rar" file, but I suspect that's a Promax addition since the Cache-A days.

You will likely have better luck exporting your catalog using the tools Cache-A developed for that purpose that are most likely still extant on your system. Instructions for doing so may be found at http://www.tomgoldberg.net/Cache-A/CATechBrief-catalog-export.pdf

I hope that helps.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

jonathan davies
Re: Catalog missing
on Jan 20, 2017 at 1:04:15 pm

Hi Tom

And thanks very much for responding. I will have a look at the command line tool and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]