FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharable Video Archive Solutions?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Lambert
Sharable Video Archive Solutions?
on Jan 6, 2017 at 9:00:19 pm

Hello,
I'm working with a large non-profit that has a fair amount of video (approx. 25 TB) gathered from over the years, with 100 - 1000 GB incoming every month now that 4K is becoming the standard. This consists of both final polished videos, but more importantly hours and hours of B-roll that they want to keep on hand and archived to act as a source of possible cover assets for future projects since there is a fair amount of overlap in theme and possible re-purposing of existing video. The stopgap solution they have implemented goes some way to address and prevent loss of those assets in a worst case situation, however it doesn't come close to ideal in terms of sharing access and review of the cataloged assets among the teams who might benefit from accessing them. Does anyone know of a service that would function quite a lot like dropbox, but would offer browsable/searchable video thumbnails of the entire archive and incorporate metadata where existing to create a dynamic search environment? Hopefully the question is clear, but in case I'm providing more detail and background to elucidate the issue.

Current setup:
1 iMac video editing station w/ attached mirrored RAID arrays. The intake procedure consists of copying the entire contents of all raw assets received into a folder within that master archive drive sorted and labelled by date and project. That archive drive is linked to automatically sync with an unlimited Dropbox storage subscription so that on site drive failure or destruction is reversible by retrieving files from Dropbox. It has also proven useful for sharing assets when there is a reasonable amount of data to be transferred to internal and external sources for file transfer.

However, the system falls short of the ideal, which would be to have a similar system with more sortable and dynamic labelling of footage in question, and even for it to act as a searchable (and ideally scannable - i.e. rapid video preview by hovering over a thumbnail image to scan without downloading) database.

Are there products the organization should look into? I have found several in the realm of still photos that would serve pretty much this exact purpose, but they are highly limiting in terms of storage space, not realistic for 20+ TB of data. And I have found many options for the service of providing the off-site backup, however Dropbox for Business was really the only one that could offer unlimited storage for a reasonable fee. Thanks in advance for any input!

JML

Return to posts index

Alan Hatchett
Re: Sharable Video Archive Solutions?
on Jan 12, 2017 at 9:26:20 pm

I'd be really curious to hear any solutions to this as I have a similar situation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]