FORUMS: list search recent posts

LT05 with OSX - Is there a straightforward solution?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Herrington
LT05 with OSX - Is there a straightforward solution?
on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:19:07 pm

Before I am internet-assaulted - I have done research on this question. I have searched these forums and have typed in every possible google word search that I can think of. What I am finding, and I believe others as well, is that there isn't any standard solutions with LT05 and Mac OSX. Specifically something as straightforward as this article for an LT04 solution: http://www.studiodaily.com/main/work/LTO4-Tape-Archiving-on-the-Mac_11294.h...

After researching this subject I made what I thought was an informed decision and purchased an HP Ultrium 3000 with an ATTO H644 SAS card. I also was using the BRU Server trial but was never able to get the drive to be recognized by the Mac Pro Tower (no compatible drivers).

What I found was that the HP Drives have OSX compatible software for the drives, but the drives themselves are not compatible - go figure. Several other forums also mention that the Quantum drives are notoriously incompatible with Macs. Nearing my 30-day return limit I sent the drive back and am looking to make a correct purchase moving forward. On a side note, I have in-store credit with NewEgg from the return so hopefully a drive can be purchased through them.

My setup includes an assortment of Mac's and OS's. Ideally it would be setup on a 2008 Intel Mac Pro running OS 10.6.

I understand there are a variety of solutions from Cache-A or DNA, but I at least want to see if there is a configuration that works on this setup: Mac Pro OSX > Internal SAS Card > External LT05 Tape Drive.

If you are fed up with these posts, then please just don't reply. Tape solutions are notoriously incompatible or confusing and what my research led me to conclude is that there are a lot of other people in the same boat.

Return to posts index

Kelly Herrington
Re: LT05 with OSX - Is there a straightforward solution?
on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:10:54 pm

On another quick side note: I have found a few posts describing a method of using terminal to add the libraries onto the Mac, and then all functions would then be run through terminal. I had preliminary success with this but had mixed results. I also had the correct version of MacFuse and the HP libraries installed on the machine.

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:36:12 pm

I sent an inquiry to the support team for Retrospect for Mac. I asked if they supported the Quantum Scalar i40 over Fibre and Quantum Superloader3 over SAS with LTO5 drives installed. They responded yes to both. I have not tried either of these setups myself, but I am looking at making a purchase of a Quantum Library in the very near future and I am trying to decided between LTO4 and LTO5 myself.

You can probably contact both Retrospect for Mac and Quantum to verify and inquire about your setup. I don't know where you buy your gear, but if it's some place like CDW then they at times can test configurations to confirm. But not always. I'm not sure what the dependancies are on that.

Jay

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:59:30 pm

[Kelly Herrington] "What I am finding, and I believe others as well, is that there isn't any standard solutions with LT05 and Mac OSX. Specifically something as straightforward as this article for an LT04 solution: http://www.studiodaily.com/main/work/LTO4-Tape-Archiving-on-the-Mac_11294.h..."

Tolis Group sells BRU bundled with LTO5 drives. I'm using it, and it's working well.

I'm still using their proprietary BRU format, but the software now supports LTFS.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kelly Herrington
on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:53:18 pm

Thanks,
I have a call into them.

What puzzles me is that they seem to be using the same or very similar drives to the one I purchased through Newegg. I was able to get the BRU Server software running it was just that the drive wouldn't mount without proper drivers. I wonder if theirs comes preloaded or if their software isn't the standard software you would buy online.

I'll let you know.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:18:38 pm

I am using a standard HP UL3200 SE LTO5 drive with an ATTO controller. Works just fine, both with BRU as well as the included HP utilities for LTFS.
Zero issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]