FORUMS: list search recent posts

Win10 - Nova Backup - Quantum LTO-4 issues

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Graham
Win10 - Nova Backup - Quantum LTO-4 issues
on Nov 2, 2016 at 11:18:42 pm

Hello,

I have a Quantum LTO-4 HH drive connected via SAS to my Windows 10 machine. Looking in the device manager list I can see that the drive is working and connected. Using Quantum's xtalk software I can do diagnostics and verify that the drive is reading/writing properly.

This issue is that the drive doesn't show up within Nova Backup as a disk/drive that I can backup to.

How do I navigate in the file explorer window to select my LTO-4 tape drive as my backup destination in Nova Backup?

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Win10 - Nova Backup - Quantum LTO-4 issues
on Nov 3, 2016 at 12:29:19 am

Hi Brent,

Tape drives are not disk drives and you will need to gain an understand of that to move forward. Nova Back is a utility designed to allow you to create backup jobs that they run to copy data from your normal disk devices to tape. You select what you want to backup in Nova Back and then Nova Back writes that data onto the tape. The restore is the opposite - you search the Nova Back catalogs for what you want to restore, tell Nova Back where to restore it, and then Nova Back will ask you to load the correct tape and then read the data from teh tape returning it to the destination location you specified.

Review the workflow for Nova Back to get a feel for how things work, but don't expect the tape to appear on your desk as a disk does.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Brent Graham
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:50:32 am

Hey Tim!

Thanks for replying. I'm aware that pre LTO-5 tape drives won't support LTFS, that's why I'm trying to backup via nova backup. The issue is that it used to work in 8.1 and I have various tape backup logs stored in my restore window. But now I'm on Win10 and although my Nova Backup tab shows the original (and working) bus path , but when I click the Backup To button to reselect the tape drive it doesn't appear in the window selection box .

So knowing that Nova Backup will backup to tape, how does one select their tape drive to backup to? (Considering that xTalk management software shows the tape drive is functioning properly and the device manager shows the tape drive and the SAS card both working properly.)

Thank you for your help on this Tim. I figure I'm missing something obvious here. It worked a year ago! :)

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:59:37 pm

Okay, that I've never seen. What version are you using - older NovaBack or NovaBACKUP PC? Have you checked with Novastor for compatibility issues with Windows 10?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Brent Graham
on Nov 3, 2016 at 4:20:10 pm

I'm on Nova Backup Profession v16 - I'll reach out to Nova support today.

Return to posts index

Brent Graham
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:53:26 pm

Hi Tim,

Wanted to follow up and let you know that it was another backup software stealing the tape drive from nova backup. Their tech said it happened with backup exec. I had installed a trial of Acronis true image that was causing the issues. Uninstalled Acronis, rebooted, and everything is working great again!

Thank you for replying and being on the forums here helping everyone. Have a nice day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]