FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro and Quantum LTO-7 Tape Drive compatibility?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Sarahina
Mac Pro and Quantum LTO-7 Tape Drive compatibility?
on Oct 12, 2016 at 1:46:04 am

Hi all,

I have acquired a Quantum LTO-7 tape drive using a RocketStor 6328 to connect it to a 2013 Mac Pro running OS X 10.11.6.
I'm not sure what firmware version is on the RS6328, but if it were up-to-date on 1.8.11.1, would the Quantum drive be able to be used? At the moment, using Quantum's xTalk diagnostic software the drive isn't being seen. The Mac Pro is seeing the RS6328 just fine. Also tried YoYotta to see if that would see the drive, no luck. Is there a solution or am I boned?

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
Re: Mac Pro and Quantum LTO-7 Tape Drive compatibility?
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:06:03 am

Make sure it's not the 6328L as this does not work with SAS drives.

Note that the RocketStor 6328 does not support the TLR protocol. During tests with the Finder and our YoYottaID software it has not been compatible with the higher speed of LTO-7 drives.

However it should still see and allow control of the LTO drive.
Check our install page for the 6328 as this shows how to check that the drive is online.

https://yoyotta.com/help/installRocketStor.html

Please contact us if you need further help,

Martin Greenwood

YoYotta Support

Return to posts index

Chad Sarahina
on Oct 12, 2016 at 6:55:05 pm

I'm sure that this is the 6328 and not the 6328L. The firmware version is 1.8.8.0. I can see the 6328 in the SAS Device tree under System Information, but the LTO drive still isn't showing.

The exact model of the drive I have is Quantum LTO-7 Tape Drive, QUA-TC-L72BN-AR

Return to posts index

Chad Sarahina
on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:00:51 pm

Ah. I figured it out. I updated the firmware and it's reading now. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
on Oct 24, 2016 at 10:14:27 pm

Just an FYI for the future - Any name brand and most boutique drives are OS neutral and will work on Windows, MAC or Linux.

Tim Gerhard
Magnext
614-433-0011 x114
tgerhard@magnext.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Payne
on Mar 9, 2017 at 3:40:55 am

I am having the same problem on a new iMac 4GHz i7. From where did you get the driver and how did you manage to install? They all appear to be for Windows OS. I contacted Highpoint-tech support today and they claim it cannot do what you (and hopefully me too) are using it for. They said they do not support LTO and that info has been removed from their site for some time. Advised me to return it but I keep reading that it can work.

The goal is iMac thunderbolt to Rocketstor 6328 (or 6324L) mini-SAS to HP 15000 LTO-7.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin P.

Return to posts index

Chad Sarahina
on Mar 9, 2017 at 4:33:17 pm

I followed Yoyotta's install page here:

https://yoyotta.com/help/installRocketStor.html

I'm running firmware version 1.8.8 on the RS 6328 which I got here:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_RS6328_download.htm

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Mar 21, 2017 at 5:55:26 pm

Kevin,

A more detailed update regarding LTFS + SAS + LTO-7, please contact me if you have any questions.

There is a SCSI protocol in the T10 SAS Protocol Layer (SPL-4) called TLR that is required for IBM tape drives.
Note that all LTO-7 drives are manufactured by IBM.
The TLR protocol was rarely used before LTO-7, because of the lower transfer speeds.
If the SAS interface does not support TLR, then you will get read errors that are not signalled.
These errors would remain undetected unless the app used compares the data read back against a checksum of the written data.

HPE, IBM, Quantum, Tandberg and YoYotta only recommend SAS interfaces with TLR support.

For the Mac the ATTO H680 PCIe card supports TLR, so this is the only interface we recommend.
To use the H680 with a Thunderbolt Mac put it into a Sonnet or other TB PCIe chassis.

If you already have an ATTO R680 and SH2068 there is a workaround to limit the link speed, which does seem to reduce or eliminate TLR requests.

https://yoyotta.com/help/installATTO.html

We do not know of any fix for the HighPoint 6328, so this is not suitable for use with LTO-7 and LTFS.

Best,

Martin Greenwood

CTO

YoYotta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]