FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storing LTO Tapes On and Offsite

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Pfingsten
Storing LTO Tapes On and Offsite
on Sep 7, 2016 at 8:03:44 pm

So assuming I create a clone of each tape, one for onsite storage and one offsite, what do I do with my tapes?

What do you use to store tapes onsite?

How about offsite? Would an air conditioned storage unit be sufficient or is something more robust needed?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Storing LTO Tapes On and Offsite
on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:01:14 pm

We make 3 and keep a copy in a fireproof safe at home and then the 3rd copy in a bank safe deposit box.

If you have a bank account, a medium size safe deposit box is a really good solution for 20 to 30 tapes. If you have more, you could talk to the bank manager and see what other services they may offer.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:19:21 pm

The LTO Consortium has established environmental limits for LTO tapes. Figures typically published by tape manufacturers are as follows:

Operating:
10 to 45°C (50 to 113°F) 10-80% RH

Storage:
16 to 35°C (61 to 95°F) 20-80% RH

Sony goes further and publishes requirements for Archive Storage Conditions:
16 to 25°C (60 to 77°F) 20-50% RH

In most climates, normal AC should suffice for this but where unusual humidities or temperature extremes exist you may need to do more.

Most smaller users have adhered to the former storage environmental conditions without problems. If you are archiving for the long term and won't be accessing the data for long periods, and if the content is high-value, it would make sense to ensure the more narrow conditions.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:37:14 pm

While we definitely store our business data tapes in a more responsible manner and I especially don't promote sloppy storage practices - and Tom's data is what the "consortium" recommends - we have seventeen DDS-1 DAT tapes dating from 1991 in our lab that we store in a Rubbermaid plastic bin in a 3 drawer storage cabinet. That makes these tapes over 25 years old and we can still restore every file from them.

The key to keep in mind is to store your long term media in a responsible manner. Don't store them with your Blue Bunny Ice Cream or leave them on your dash in Summer (extremes of temperature), dunk them in coffee (humidity), or take them to the beach and drop them in the sand (high particulate environment), and your data will be safe for a very long time. Basically, if you can be comfortable in the environment, so can your tapes. ;)

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]