FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to backup SNS Evo to RAID Array(s) - Software Recommendations?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassia Lozinski
Looking to backup SNS Evo to RAID Array(s) - Software Recommendations?
on Aug 10, 2016 at 7:44:14 pm

I realize I'm in the minority in not using LTO for my 32+TB storage backups, but LTO is not an option for me right now. So I'm hoping to learn something about backing up a NAS volume (or several) to external hard drives in a reliable, low-cost manner (ideally less than $500 for outright software purchase, but I'm open to hear other solutions).

My requirements are:
a) plays well with Evo (their official recommendation for backup software is "Any software which is capable of backing up a NAS volume should work.")
b) is low-cost, but ideally I could have 5 seat licenses on it (although single-seat only is not a deal-breaker)
c) can create incremental backups of my entire Evo onto 2 separate backup drives.
d) could handle multiple backup jobs in order to backup additional external drives.

My system specs are:
  • SNS Evo SAN 16 bay (half full 8x 4TB for now)
  • Mac Pro tower (late 2013) + 4 MacBook clients
  • 4 stations on Yosemite 10.10.5, 1 on El Capitan
  • Editing mostly on Adobe Premiere CC, but have some old Avid MC7 projects that we occasionally bring back to life.
  • Will probably be using SNS's ShareBrowser software as MAM across all our storage

The Evo isn't yet installed, but it's on its way. In the meantime we've had LaCie 5Big NAS Pro (15TB, RAID5) that is simply using the bare-bones built-in LaCie backup application to another LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 2. This backup just started randomly failing, so I'll also need to back up that entire NAS to whatever my new backup system ends up being.

I've had good luck with TimeMachine in just backing up one of the MacBooks to an external drive, and I'd love for it to be that simple (and affordable). Archiware stands out to me, but wondering if anyone has used software in a similar situation and can share their experience or recommendations.

Side note: If there are any recommendations for low-cost 32TB-64TB RAID arrays that would work with said backup configuration, I'd also appreciate hearing thoughts on that.

Thanks to this group! I always come here first to search the forums when I'm troubleshooting.

-Cassia

• Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
    Re: Looking to backup SNS Evo to RAID Array(s) - Software Recommendations?
    on Sep 2, 2016 at 10:11:36 pm

I'm a data backup solutions dealer and scratched my head for a bit on this, because everything I deal with is usually on a larger scale or dealing with LTO or Cloud appliances.

If you're looking to do a backup to a NAS with 5-6 MAC desktops, then you could probably get away using the cheapo home version of Acronis.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

It's like $100 for a perpetual license or yearly subscriptions for 5 computers.

Tim Gerhard
    Magnext
    614-433-0011 x114
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
    on Sep 2, 2016 at 10:22:53 pm

Also, since you're mentioning a low cost raid array. Have you looked at costs on tape libraries and using YoYotta ID Automation for LTFS? Generally when people talk about LTFS they think huge numbers from the big guys like 50k , but you can get YoYotta ID Automation for under $990 and turn a tape library into a NAS. https://magstor.com/collections/software/products/yoyottaid-automation-mac-...

Here are the library options:

https://magstor.com/collections/magstor-tape-libraries

24 Slot w/ 1x LTO6 2.5TB Drive is under 5k

24 Slot w/ 1x LTO7 6TB Drive is under 6k

Just some numbers to compare when looking at building a 32-64TB raid. Not to mention you should be doing some offsite copies to be safe.

Tim Gerhard
    Magnext
    614-433-0011 x114
    tgerhard@magnext.com

Return to posts index

Cassia Lozinski
    on Sep 8, 2016 at 4:29:09 pm

Thank you for your response, Tim.
    I checked out Acronis, and it does seem like a great software for many backup requirements.
    Unfortunately, in their FAQs they note a known issue with backing up NAS volumes. While the software can back up specific files and folders, it can't back up an entire volume, which is really what I'm looking for since I don't want to manually re-configure the backup job every time we add a folder to the system.
    I'll keep looking!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]