FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving Video Projects via LTO LTFS

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus Hergenroether
Archiving Video Projects via LTO LTFS
on Aug 3, 2016 at 8:19:52 am

I want to store media projects on LTO Tapes using LTFS.
This should be realized using a workstation with access to the storage and a single attached LTO drive.
The archives should be listed in a catalog/ database, in which the projects and corresponding tapes should be easy to find and restore.
It would be nice if the software could also extract the metadata of the files and add it automated to the database to make it searchable.

The archiving would be done manually, so no need for much automation. The main purpose is to archive closed projects and make up space on the production storage.

Is there a solution that can do that?
I found several MAM Solutions that seem way over the top and too complicated.

Thanks
Markus

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
Re: Archiving Video Projects via LTO LTFS
on Aug 5, 2016 at 12:27:30 am

Mac or PC?
for Mac, Yoyoatta https://yoyotta.com/yoyottaid/main.html
Tollis BRU producers Edition http://www.tolisgroup.com/bru-pe-archival-and-client-deliverables-software....

MAC & PC Pre Roll Post http://www.imagineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9

I am sure there are others

HTH

Mike

Return to posts index

jacob william
on Aug 10, 2016 at 3:54:13 pm

Once you’ve decided to create an LTO/LTFS archive, there are some things you need to consider in order to be successful with it. It’s not the same as copying files onto a hard disk and sticking it in a storage closet. The mechanics are different, so there are a few more steps, and there are rules associated with LTFS that require some forethought.

One thing to know is that LTO tapes are raw media that do not come formatted, so you have to format them before you can use them. You can format using terminal commands — a cumbersome process that few would undertake — or, when formatting for LTFS, you can do it using LTFS software. After that, any hardware that has LTFS software installed will be able to read the LTO tape. One of the defining characteristics of LTFS is that in the process of formatting, it partitions the tape so that one section stores the actual content and the other section stores an index of metadata. The index allows the tape to be self-describing, which improves archive management. It also helps ensure organizations are compliant with broadcast networks that require indexed tapes.

Another consideration is whether to format the drive in compressed mode, and the short answer is “no.” Operating in compressed mode is useful in the IT industry when backing up things like documents and text files. But in the media industry, where nearly all video files are already compressed into a format that saves space, there’s little to be gained by formatting a tape in compressed mode. In fact, it can slow down the writing and retrieval processes considerably.

Return to posts index

Markus Hergenroether
on Aug 11, 2016 at 7:03:45 am

Thanks for your answers.
I did know parts of that.

My aim is to make it as foolproof as possible. I do not know who will operate that, so it should be as easy as possible with little to no possibility of error. Command line commands are not the preferred choice for that.

Therefore I would like a little software doing all the things like formatting and writing and verifing the data. To be on the safe side of retrieving the data, it would be very important that the software creates a database with all the archived files as a searchable catalog.

It can be on a MAC, but PC would be the better choice.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Aug 16, 2016 at 2:06:42 pm

What did you end up going with?

I've tested LTFS implementations and found them to be troublesome, particularly with large number of files - DPX, ArriRaw, OpenEXR sequences. Some LTFS implementations are database driven so if you lose the database, then you lose the ability of being able to search for files/folders across a large number of tapes. For restoring several years later.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]