FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTO windows software?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Scaffidi
LTO windows software?
on Aug 1, 2016 at 2:35:35 pm

Just purchased an LTO-6 Drive to start archiving our library of hard drives from the past 10 years. Based on other posts, I was going to go with BRU until I discovered that a windows version hasn't been released yet. So I'm looking into PreRollPost. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that I've been using ShotPutPro for a while and have some issues with it, and it hasn't been updated in quite some time. But if Bru is the best solution I suppose we can wait and keep archiving to HDD in the meantime, but it's adding up fast. Anyone have any advice?

Return to posts index

Tim Gerhard
Re: LTO windows software?
on Oct 24, 2016 at 9:44:32 pm

I always recommend PreRollPost for Windows users. I believe XenData has a more expensive windows option, but PreRollPost is more geared towards M&E clients.

Tim Gerhard
Magnext
614-433-0011 x114
tgerhard@magnext.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 27, 2016 at 4:48:17 pm

Hi Per,

We are definitely moving forward with both Linux and Windows versions of BRU Producer's edition in the new year.

We continue to get more and more requests from both new and existing customers for Linux and Windows versions of BRU PE. Apparently, the level of "distrust" in Apple regarding OS X Server has grown dramatically over the last year and is driving a lot of existing Mac users onto these platforms. While we have always supported Windows systems as clients under our BRU Server environment, the user needed a Linux, OS X, Solaris, or FreeBSD server system for the actual tape / disk component.

Our biggest issue with Windows has been the user-level GUI layer communicating with an Administrator (local system) level back-end. A normal user cannot access tape devices and some filesystem functionality that we need. We've uncovered a mechanism that is allowing us to move forward with the implementation and will be releasing BRU PE for Windows after the first of the year.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 31, 2016 at 5:14:16 am

If it helps any, here's what I have, for one of my Bru setups.

A MacBook Air 11", a TBolt-PCI adapter with an SAS card, and a Tandberg external LTO-6 tape drive.
The MacBook Air makes this system very portable and lightweight. And, it's cross platform so I can backup Windows and Mac drives. All of this fits in a backpack.

So, even if you're an otherwise Windows shop, you could consider getting a low cost Mac just for Bru backups. Even a Mac mini will do. Besides, your 'archive PC' (which is a mac) will be relatively free of viruses and malware.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 1, 2016 at 6:28:39 pm

We have a couple of other shops doing something similar to what Neil suggests. One thing that matters if you're using the SMB layer to mount the Windows system's filesystem is to turn off required signing. You can do this on the Mac side with this defaults command in a terminal:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist SigningRequired -bool false

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:15:54 pm

The original post referred to doing backups of "archiving our library of hard drives from the past 10 years". So I guessed these are single external hard drives. 10 years old means some would be even 80 and 120 GB drives. Windows or Mac doesn't matter, the Mac system running Bru would happily read those.

I had a client with a closet full of old drives. They were ranging from 40GB to 500GB. Some drives mount some don't. Others had errors so some files couldn't get copied.

I just took a 9TB RAID over and had an assistant copy them all to the RAID. Then I backed up with Bru from the RAID.
So, copying several small capacity drives to newer drive first ironed out these issues. Else Bru would have kept halting for each disk error. Besides, how does one connect 8 USB2 drives of 120 GB each to a system at once. So doing this backup drive by drive would mean many appended sessions.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:38:26 pm

Just an update -- I went ahead with the following mac setup and so far so good:

-Early 2008 Quad Core Mac Pro (eBay $150) with OS X 10.11
-mini-sas card
-USB 3 card
-HP LTO6 Ultrium 6250 (eBay $1500)

My plan is to have a tape backup of all projects for long-term archival, and a hard drive backup for easy access.

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:39:12 pm

*edit*
with BRU

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:45:06 pm

The most important piece of your list is the SAS card. Which brand and model are you getting?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
on Nov 1, 2016 at 9:21:59 pm

Atto H680

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 2, 2016 at 12:36:48 am

Good Choice! just be sure to install ATTO's driver version 2.45 once you get things together.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Luke Mullen
on Feb 16, 2017 at 5:17:22 pm

Hey Tim...

Any updates on BRU PE for Windows?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]