FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using G5 as a target Disk

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Busse
Using G5 as a target Disk
on Jan 29, 2012 at 1:00:56 am

Hi,
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes: I am on a tight budget so I bought a mac mini to do HD video editing to replace my old G5 tower which could only handle standard def. External hard drives are out of my price range right now, but I was thinking about buying internal hard drives to install on my G5 and then using it as a glorified external hard drive by connecting my Mac Mini to the G5 via firewire 800. I would start up the G5 by pressing 't' on a keyboard so that it would just act as a giant hard drive. I realize this is not the most efficient use of space, but would this method work as a solution for as long as a year or two? or could my G5 possibly crap out on me for using it like that for that long?
thanks
-David

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Using G5 as a target Disk
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:10:33 pm

It wouldn't crap out any sooner than it would from normal use unless you cram in more drives than it was designed to hold which could strain the power supply and shorten its life. The drives inside could always be put in new external cases if that were to happen.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Busse
Re: Using G5 as a target Disk
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:34:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. For whatever reason I thought that the G5 held more than two drives, but looking at it last night proved otherwise. I think I may just go with your idea of buying a case for the internal drive and using it as an external drive. That won't cost too much and I may actually end up saving money in energy costs in the long run.
-David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]