FORUMS: list search recent posts

trying to find unique files across a set of drives (in need of backing up)

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
trying to find unique files across a set of drives (in need of backing up)
on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:52:58 pm

I have a question about computer archives that is not specific to video.No too long ago a sibling of mine passed away who was a pretty well known collector of all things. It's fallen on me to manage/organize those files that are important to his children and our family. (He used a Mac but the drives are formatted in different ways)

Like a lot of us he backed up in a scattershot way, as his collection of digital files and drives grew. I have over ten external drives that are on average about a terabyte each. This is my question… is there a way to scan the ten drives and sift out those files that exist in one place? (or two places?) Clearly they are at risk and merit inspection to determine their value (for backing up).

I have been using CDFinder (now NeoFinder) for my own collection but as wonderful as this utility is, it does not offer this feature. Yes I can export every drive catalog into a common Excel spreadsheet and work with a variation of a "find unique" search but this seems like a lot of work. Has anyone encountered this situation and have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Paul

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: trying to find unique files across a set of drives (in need of backing up)
on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:45:38 pm

Paul,

I can't speak to having personally used it, but I've had several customers speak highly of Deltopia's Deltawalker - you might want to take a look at http://deltawalker.com.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: trying to find unique files across a set of drives (in need of backing up)
on Jun 25, 2016 at 11:02:54 pm

Thanks Tom! I will check this out.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]