FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid ISIS 5500 -> QNAP Thunderbolt 2 Turbo vNAS -> mTape Thunderbolt LTO-7

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Ervin
Avid ISIS 5500 -> QNAP Thunderbolt 2 Turbo vNAS -> mTape Thunderbolt LTO-7
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:15:06 pm

I've got projects on an Avid ISIS 5500 (32 TB) that i'd like to archive to LTO-7. I'm advised it's best to have a staging drive for organizing the archives prior to transferring to tape. LTO-7 should not be connected directly to the ISIS or be hanging off its network (dual Gb connections).

This staging drive should be NAS, available to all the edit workstations (PCs) - and be able to accept groups of media files transferred from the ISIS 5500.

I noticed that QNAP makes some NAS RAID chassis devices that are also able to be connected locally via Thunderbolt 2. If possible, I would attach my LTO-7 drive to the QNAP and schedule evening back-ups as well as project archiving when needed. There is PC system software built into the QNAP, which I could use to run the Windows version of Imagine's PreRollPost archiving software. If that won't work, this connection might need to be made via Thunderbolt to 10Ge ethernet converter.

If the QNAP QTS operating system won't work, perhaps I could connect to the NAS via 10Ge using a Thunderbolt 10Ge controller/converter. Then, connect my LTO-7 drive via Mac's Thunderbolt 2 (port 2). I would then use the Mac version of PreRollPost archive software, or YoYottaLTFS.

Questions: First, will the Thunderbolt 2 capability of the QNAP be of benefit? Is the 10Ge network ports of any benefit? Is this totally an overkill way to address this issue?

I'm thinking this could enable NAS with enough high-speed to do the following:
1. Use ShotPutPro to copy camera original files when the camera cards come in each night.
2. Allow the Avids to ingest that footage via Media Composer (DNxIO) and consolidate to the ISIS 5500.
3. Schedule a nightly LTO-7 back-up for safety (alternating tapes each night)
4. All the Avids to organize and transfer their entire archive for a completed project.

I realize I'm thinking out loud. Your collective thoughts will help. Thanks.

--
Tom Ervin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]