FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU PE Tape Naming When Spanning Volumes

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt O'Donnell
BRU PE Tape Naming When Spanning Volumes
on Jun 10, 2016 at 5:12:47 pm

Just getting BRU PE up and running in our studio. The first archive I'm running has a spanned two tapes. Once the first was completed and it asked for a second, it informed me that it would be naming the tape the same as the first + Volume 2. Is there anyway to control this? I'd rather the name just iterate one number up (for example the first tape was name 1001, second would be 1002). My reasoning being I plan to append my next archive onto the end of tapes that have space, taking advantage of as much capacity as possible, as opposed to starting every archive on a brand new tape.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: BRU PE Tape Naming When Spanning Volumes
on Jun 10, 2016 at 7:47:44 pm

BRU PE handles archives based on two levels of naming - a Tape Set name, and an Archive Name (or label). A tape set consists of one or more tapes containing 1 or ore normally related archives. For example, you are working on a new documentary - "12 Days On The Nile" and you wish to store your dailies in a Tape Set collection. As you create a new archive and append it to the tapes in the tape set, you name each day's Archive with a label (the date info is already included). As the shoot progresses and your dailies archives grow to cover 14 tapes, all that you need to do is to keep them ordered by their volume order. When you need to restore something and that something is in an archive named "Closing on Memphis - primary camera", you select the file(s) / Folder(s) that you wish to restore and BRU PE will tell you that you need tapes 5 and 6 from the tape set "12 Days On The Nile".

In our research of user feedback over our 31 years of operation, we have determined that humans can far more easily deal with such a design versus dealing with various arcane tape numbering methodologies.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]