FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows NTFS + Mac OS X + LTFS = Dueling File Systems?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Ervin
Windows NTFS + Mac OS X + LTFS = Dueling File Systems?
on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:51:37 pm

I have been experiencing copy error problems when archiving from NTFS formatted hard drives to an LTO-7 LTFS formatted tape. I am currently testing PreRollPost and YoYottaLTFS demos on a Macbook PRO (Mac OS X 10.9.5 - Mavericks). I am using a Thunderbolt connected mTape LTO-7 drive from mLogic.

I am using MD5 Checksum on both applications to verify my copy integrity. Errors abound.
I don't recall if I have asked for thumbnails to be generated of each video clip. This may be relevant.

Is it possible errors are related to incompatibilities between file systems, characters, permissions, etc.? In all cases, the software stops the archive and reports too many copy errors and verification errors. Different amounts for each application.

After the test, I reformat the LTFS tape with the new app - and test a new archive of the same drive. The hard drive is accessible and shows all files fine. Should I not be reformatting the tape? These are tests.

A sampling of the Mac OS X logs shows messages like this:

6/2/16 12:02:58.000 AM kernel[0]: NTFS-fs warning (device /dev/disk1s1, pid 23526): ntfs_inode_afpinfo_cache(): AFP_AfpInfo data attribute of mft_no 0x4030 contains invalid data (wrong signature, wrong version, or wrong size), ignoring and using defaults.

Jun 2 10:38:34 kbwork.fios-router.home PreRollPost[20060]: Critical failure: the LastResort font is unavailable.

--
Tom Ervin

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
Re: Windows NTFS + Mac OS X + LTFS = Dueling File Systems?
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:16:19 pm

Hi Tom,

We have customers archiving from NTFS formatted disks, however that log message suggests something problematic with the source disk / interface.

As a test I suggest copying the files to another RAID first. You can use YoYottaID to do this which will verify the transfer.
If this works then try the archive to tape again from this new copy.

Formatting the tape is correct and it's the only to get back space used for previous tests. As deleting files from LTFS tapes doesn't actually remove them.

Currently setting up for CineGear, so if you are in LA then please come visit YoYotta at booth 155 on Fri + Sat.
Bring an NTFS drive and we can test it out...

Martin Greenwood

CTO, YoYotta

Return to posts index

Tom Ervin
Re: Windows NTFS + Mac OS X + LTFS = Dueling File Systems?
on Jun 7, 2016 at 8:46:46 pm

Thanks! I've successfully created projects in YoYotta (demo mode) and used them to back-up/archive - then restore all the files to a new hard drive. The NTFS files work fine, even though the software is running on a Macbook Pro. I think I had too many options selected, such as thumbnails, full-check on copy, etc. When I reduced my desired choices to filenames and checksum authentication, I had no problems. I am still a little confused about the structure of sources and projects and how they relate to the database that people will search. I just need to read some more on the site. Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Tom Ervin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]