FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Archive Software for Tape Library

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mauro Moreira
Best Archive Software for Tape Library
on May 30, 2016 at 2:45:12 am

Hello, i have a Quantum Superloader 3 LTO 6 HH and i need some advice on which sofware to use.
I`m using Mac Os and my goal is to use 8 slots for my company archive and 8 slots for a client project. All my archive will be disk to tape.
I tried BRU-Pe software, which works but i had some trouble using it. I opened a ticket with the Tolis Group and was informed that this specific model is not fully supported and some issues might occur.
I also tried YoYotta LTFS but it does not use the full capacity of the hardware (ex: i simply cannot move the tape from slot X to drive and vice versa).

What do you suggest? I want something simple, that use my tape hardware not only as a standalone tape drive but as a real tape library.
Do i need to switch to Windows? With the hardware i got DataStor Shield for free. Does anyone has used this software to archive to tape?
I downloaded Preroll demo, but cannot find out if it will use my tape library and spanning through tapes, etc.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Proude
Re: Best Archive Software for Tape Library
on May 30, 2016 at 4:21:36 am

I would check out Archiware P5, as it supports tape libraries:
http://www.archiware.com/p5-archive.303.1.html

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on May 30, 2016 at 12:18:53 pm

Hi Andrew. I forgot to mention that i tried P5 and it is a amazing software, but the cost is to high (here in Brazil it costs almost three times more than the LTO DRIVE).

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on May 30, 2016 at 7:49:36 pm

BRU Producer's Edition and BRU Server both support tape libraries as libraries.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Jun 5, 2016 at 11:02:59 pm

Thanks for your help Tim.
I know that the SL-3 is not the best hardware available. I've worked with BRU PE and a standalone drive and it was totally perfect.
With the SL-3, during the first 5 tapes i've got some issues like the tape is not put back in the slot, or the system cannot change to the next tape and so on.
I think i have a few days left in my demo mode and i'll do some another tests!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 5, 2016 at 11:49:03 pm

That's exactly why we don't support the SL-3. What you're witnessing is a hardware error, not software problems. A MOVE ELEMENT call is specifically defined low-level SCSI command that is the same no matter who's software you're using. If the library's acting up on something that simple, there's nothing that any software vendor can do to alleviate it. This is a perfect example of why we don't support that unit and recommend you to stay way. It's not that BRU products won't work with it, but rather that they break down too often for a reliable backup environment.

If your SL-3 is already acting up, you'll see the same issues with any other software package; and it won't get better over time.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:37:07 pm

Hi Mauro,

YoYottaID Automation will move LTO tapes into the library drive automatically when needed for restore or archive. Then when another tape is needed the original tape will be shelved.
YoYottaID Automation will do this for all LTO libraries including the Quantum Superloader 3.

If archiving it will auto format a blank tape and then mount it.

You can also do this manually, sorry if this wan't clear from our website.

Select a tape in the LTFS panel, see picture here :-

https://yoyotta.com/yoyottaid/automation.html

Then click the Mount or Format buttons.

Eject will put the tape back into the original slot.

Export will put the tape into a mailslot.

Move will move from one slot to another slot.

Martin Greenwood

CTO YoYotta

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Jun 5, 2016 at 10:57:29 pm

Thanks Martin. I think i`ll give another try on the Yoyotta Automation. My initial goal was to work with LTFS too.

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Jun 6, 2016 at 1:14:52 am

Hi Martin, is there a way in YoYotta Automation that i can use slots 1to8 to archive for example my personal files and slot 9to16 for another specific files?
Or use a label range (TE0001L6 and foward) to archive my personal files and another label range to other files?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:21:59 pm

BTW - the issue that our team reported to you with the SL-3 is related to it's quality of build and longevity. BRU PE and BRU Server will work fine with it - as long as it works. In the more than 15 years that we've been distrusting this unit, Quantum has never been able to provide us with a test unit (7 to date) that lasted more than a few hundred trips through the tape changing test.

When the unit works, BRU works in much the same way that YoYattaID will work with it as Martin says. But, when it breaks, there's nothing that ANY software can do to work around the issues that occur. We just prefer to inform our customers of this problematic history and suggest alternatives to the SL-3. There's a reason that the SL-3 is priced so low - this really is a living example of "you get what you pay for." Any other Quantum library will provide a much more successful and long lasting solution.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]