FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for Large-Scale Production: Meta-tag, transcode, and archive on a server

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Eisenfeld
Workflow for Large-Scale Production: Meta-tag, transcode, and archive on a server
on Apr 28, 2016 at 3:19:29 pm

I am currently working on a web-redesign for a large, multi-campus institute and I need to come up with a plan to name, transcode, meta-tag, and archive the nearly 100 TB of video we plan to shoot from 34 campuses around the country. Here is the details of the situation:

We will have two field teams shooting 17 campuses each with three cameras (Sony FS700 with Odyssey 7Q+, Sony A7s ii, and a GoPro Hero 4). Each team will be offloading footage every night and hopefully keeping a written log of that footage. That footage and log will then be handed off to the assistant editor who will transfer the original media onto our video server. Once safely on the server the Asst. Editor will add the information from the log to the meta-data of each original file (keywords, description, location, project number, camera, etc.). After the meta-data is logged we will make an offline file from the originals (Prores Proxy) which will be used to edit over ethernet cable on a Mac Pro workstation. After the edit is complete we will relink to the original media and apply color correction and possible color grade before a final export and archive of the sequence project file.

So with that plan here are my questions:

1) We will have three different file formats from source media. At what point should we rename and add meta-data to the clips? Should we do a batch rename of all source files first? Should we transcode all media to Prores HQ or leave it in it's original codec? Should we add the meta-data to the source clips, then transcode and rename or rename then add meta-data then transcode?

2) What is the best program for inputing meta-data so that footage can be searched and located in any application or in the finder window? What issues may I face be choosing one program or the other. Right now I am thinking adobe bridge but it doesn't look like the meta-data that I save is showing up in DaVinci Resolve. This may be a problem if we want to go with resolve for color correction.

3) Should we just scrap the meta-data tagging until after we get through editing? Is it reasonable to think we can hire someone to go through every clip with the log notes once this project is completely done shooting? Remember this is 100 TB of footage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]