FORUMS: list search recent posts

Integrating archiving and post production

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilbert Daspit
Integrating archiving and post production
on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:39:25 pm

Hi --
I work at a government cable TV channel. We have a modest budget which supports 3 full-time shooter/editor/producers, 1 manager who shoots/edits and produces as time allows and sometimes an extra full-time staffer.
We have never had a dedicated archiving system, we just label and keep tapes of what we've shot. Since we do non-linear editing (on FCP) and must log and capture footage anyway, I've begun flagging some footage for archive as I capture it.
Periodically (sporadically is more accurate), I sort the archive footage I've captured into different filing categories and save them to an external drive I've designated.
I would like to examine ways to broaden this so everyone in our shop can participate and we have a working archive. I don't know that we're ready to spend the money for comprehensive archiving hardware and I like the idea of parlaying the initial log and capture step, so that the labor of initially ingesting the media applies to later saving it.
Therefore, I wonder if there's a database oriented system that will work with the computers, hardware and NLE that we have and allow us to take already captured clips and store them under set categories?
Any takers for that question?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Integrating archiving and post production
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:55:51 am

You could look at CatDV plus a Cache-A. Then you'd have a searchable LTO archive that talks to FCP.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Gilbert Daspit
Re: Integrating archiving and post production
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:17:35 pm

Thanks for the reply -- the CatDV product seems like exactly what I was thinking about!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]