FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best backup storage for large media (100+gb cards etc.)

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wiese
Best backup storage for large media (100+gb cards etc.)
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:58:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm the DIT for a smallish production company. In the past we have been backing up most of our raw shoot data to Sony Blu-ray discs using the PDW-U1.

Unfortunately as we have moved further and further into 4K shooting and beyond, the file sizes are just too big for the discs.

We have resorted to storing the raw card data on 2-4TB Rugged Lacie drives, but I fear they aren't as reliable and may be prone to corruption.

What sort of storage / backup solutions are people using today with these increased file sizes?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Best backup storage for large media (100+gb cards etc.)
on Apr 8, 2016 at 5:23:28 pm

You'll find that LTO tape is truly your best solution for long term, large data storage. You don't say what platform you're on (and that does matter), but if it's Mac OS X, our BRU Producer's Edition software with our ArGest tape storage solutions is a great and reliable answer:

TOLIS Group ArGest Tape Storage Bundle Solutions

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

David Wiese
on Apr 12, 2016 at 3:38:17 pm

Thanks for the reply!

We are on OS X, I would be archiving from a 10.9.5 Mac Pro.

Ideally it would just be something I could setup on my desk, plugged directly into the Mac Pro or the breakout box. We would be backing up anywhere from 150-500gb at a time. Which option is the best solution in your opinion?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 12, 2016 at 4:15:39 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Apr 12, 2016 at 4:18:58 pm

In your case, you are still a very good candidate for LTO-5. Reasonable speed (140MB/secĀ±) and capacity per tape (1.5TB native). The pricing on LTO-5 drives is very good and LTO-5 media is in the $25 per tape range.

Our BRU Producer's Edition software allows for operations as simple as drag / drop / click while providing more advanced features such as scheduling, exclusions lists. smart handling of FCP, FCP X, and Premiere Pro project data and other long-term archival features in addition to normal day to day backup support.

We offer complete hardware bundle packages that give you everything that you need - software, connectivity, hardware, and support - from a single point of contact. Our LTO-5 Thunderbolt solutions start at $3,349 direct. Additionally, our ArGest Cube enclosure has been designed to sit on your desk "quietly" - actually, as quiet as a new Mac Pro Cylinder under normal load. Or, if you have hardware, the BRU PE software is $499 and it works with most vendors' LTO hardware.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:51:13 pm

Also considering a move to LTO back up solutions. Does LTO software allow for incremental back ups? Not sure I can afford buying both hard drive based incremental back ups and LTO.

Currently looking at about 15TB of active projects of video maybe another 2 TB of stills. Moving to 4 x 6TB raid 5 for media drive and need to do incremental backups. Once completed would like to store archived back up of each project and delete them from the media drive leaving more headroom for new projects and faster speeds for on going editing.

Not sure of which brand is the best bang for the buck but regardless would like a solution that is not proprietary - meaning I do not wish to be stuck with files that are dependent on a single brand of drive. You never know what's around the corner in this fast changing world of media.

Does LTO back ups require redundancy - that is at least two back ups per project?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
on Jul 11, 2016 at 9:17:25 pm

Hi Craig, I just stumbled on your post and wanted to see where you landed.

We've been using a hard drive/LTO solution for about a year now and it's been working out great.

We backup on hard drives incrementally as well as our LTO tapes through BRU PE. I take the tapes off site and bring them back when I continue to fill the drive (we have more than one project per 6TB drive).

When a project is locked and delivered we take them from our server and make sure the hard drives are up to date (master and backup drive), then do a full final backup on LTO. These are now considered "archives"

It was a little costly to get the LTO system in place but doing the match it made far more sense then any cloud or cold storage solution since you pay per GB on upload/download and monthly. These costs will simply exponentially expand on a month to month basis where LTO 6 tapes are always about $30.

LTO doesn't require redundancy but is part of the redundancy. We have three backups (2 hard drives 1 offsite tape set). One advantage to keeping the projects on drives is access. If you have to export a new version of an old project you wouldn't want to take the time to grab it off the tape, you would just plug in the drive and go from there.

Hope this can help shed some light on things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]