FORUMS: list search recent posts

PreRollPost vs Silverstack for simultaneous footage offload/LTO backup

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bender
PreRollPost vs Silverstack for simultaneous footage offload/LTO backup
on Mar 31, 2016 at 6:51:12 pm

Hi all,

I have a small production company and I'm currently trying to up our game in terms of offload and backup workflow. Always in the past I've just dumped to my editing RAID and to bare HDs for off-site backup. Now I'm looking ahead to some new projects where I'm going to be creating orders of magnitude more data and want to get serious about switching to LTO for backup and archive. I'm planning to add a thunderbolt LTO-7 drive to my storage rack, and am trying to figure out how best to integrate this into my workflow on the software side.

The two main solutions for backing up dailies to tape on ingest seem to be PreRollPost and Silverstack. I've been using ShotPutPro for my offloads for the last couple of years, so I'm comfortable with the robustness of Imagine's software, but there are a few ways in which I find it a bit limited. Anyone have experience with both and how do you think they compare?

Secondary question: much of what I've read about this kind of workflow seems to combine several software products, e.g. PreRollPost, CatDV, *and* BRU. This seems unnecessarily complicated, but maybe I'm missing something. Do I need BRU or can I get away with just using LTFS through PreRollPost or Silverstack? Can those programs create my backup deliverables (with index files etc.)? What additional catalog features does CatDV offer that the built-in catalogs in PRP and SS don't?

Many thanks in advance!

Best,

Joe

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
Re: PreRollPost vs Silverstack for simultaneous footage offload/LTO backup
on Apr 1, 2016 at 3:09:12 pm

Joe, Thanks for your kind words about ShotPut Pro. Please visit us at NAB booth this year to discuss your LTO needs.

I'm not aware that SilverStack nor Cat DV have direct LTO integration? And BRU is not LTFS based, so you should be sure what your client's LTO deliverable requirements are before acquiring software.

PreRoll Post is available now for Mac or Win, and both support LTFS formatted tapes. Both also create tapes to Discovery Channel's specs. Both support LTO-5 through LTO-7, and we also sell several hardware solutions depending upon your connectivity needs and budget.

There are other software solutions for LTO control out there ranging from $500- $15000 depending on your needs. What we offer is a local single deck control application, that has a backend SQLite database for keeping track of tapes and their contents. You may also add options for Proxy generation (ProxyMill) with thumbs and playback (HD-VU2).

Take a look at the website http://www.imagineproducts.com for demos, product specs, and tutorial videos.

Offload with Confidence...

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 4, 2016 at 1:58:23 pm

What kind of data are you going to back up?

Is it a huge number of small files like in the case of ArriRaw/DPX/OpenEXR which are file sequences. Or a smaller number of large files like in the case of Red Raw,/Quicktime ProRes/Sony F65 Raw/Canon C300 MXF?

I've used both PreRoll Post and Bru-PE. These are two different things and you don't necessarily need both. Both have their pros and cons.

And then there's Yoyotta ID LTFS which is an offload cum LTO backup software.

The cost of these three is comparable.
PreRoll Post is $499, or $399 if bought with an mLogic LTO drive
Bru-PE is $499 and there's a 30-day full trial so you can figure if it works for you
YoYotta ID LTFS is $514 after conversion from UK pounds
Yoyotta has a demo too.

So my suggestion is to get an LTO drive, gather about 2 TB of footage, back it up and check for yourself which is easiest to use and works stably.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Joe Bender
on Apr 13, 2016 at 4:18:17 pm

Thanks Dan and Neil for your responses!

To answer your questions Neil, for this project my footage is long takes in 4K ProRes, so large single files. I work in indie docs, so we don't have occasion to shoot RAW very often.

Does either of you have any experience with Quantum LTO drives? I'm a bit skeptical since it's an off brand, but it's a lot cheaper than the competitors: http://www.backupworks.com/Quantum-LTO-7-1U-Rackmount-TC-L73CN-AR.aspx

Also, does using SAS vs. Thunderbolt interface on the tape drive make any difference for the software?

Thanks again!

Joe

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 14, 2016 at 3:50:48 am

I've used IBM, Tandberg and HP LTO drives, not Quantum. But I don't think there's any difference between drives, they all do the same thing.

Internally, an LTOP drive is usually SAS. If there's a Thunderbolt interface to the case, its probably doing a Thunderbolt to SAS conversion internally. So there too you won't see a difference in speed or performance.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 15, 2016 at 11:17:16 pm

The physical devices are only manufactured by HP or IBM. Everyone else is just a rebranded version of one of those drives. Quantum is definitely not an off brand. They are also a major member of LTO.org. They actually used to manufacture drives, but consolidating the manufacturing under the two big guys helps manage costs better.

As to Neil's note about TB vs. SAS, all the drives are either SAS or Fibre-Channel. Therefore, when you purchase a so-called Thunderbolt drive, you're actually buying a drive with an adapter. The adapter may be built in (mLogic) or a separate sidecar (ATTO, Sonnet, HighPoint), but there's no such thing as a native Thunderbolt drive, For the mLogic mTape unit, you're actually getting a Thunderbolt to PCIe adapter built into their case with a HighPoint RR 27XX card installed.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Joe Bender
on Apr 15, 2016 at 11:25:19 pm

Thank you for the detail, Tim. That's good to know, as I've ordered myself a rack-mount Quantum drive. ;-)

Return to posts index

Joe Bender
on Apr 29, 2016 at 2:34:42 am

Hi again Dan,
Could you please point me toward a good explanation/tutorial on the ShotPutPro/PreRollPost workflow for offloading and doing simultaneous LTO backups? I've installed the trials of PreRollPost and the related apps (I already own ShotPut), but I'm having a hard time figuring out how they all fit together.
Thanks in advance!

Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]