FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old family video transferred to digital to be archived

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Appleton
Old family video transferred to digital to be archived
on Jan 29, 2016 at 10:41:49 am

Hi I recently had all of mine VHS and Cine film transferred by a company in Bristol, they are http://www.video-to-dvd.co.uk if anyone is interested. Everything in now in the popular MPEG4/MP4 format. I I have done a little bit of editing and now want to back everything up. I currently use an iMac, so would time machine be the best option here?

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Old family video transferred to digital to be archived
on Jan 30, 2016 at 5:55:59 pm

Time Machine is probably not your best option if you really want to archive your footage.

How many GB of data are you trying to preserve?

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Kim Appleton
on Feb 5, 2016 at 12:35:19 pm

Around 52 GB of data, mostly video

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Feb 6, 2016 at 5:59:55 pm

Kim,

You are on a forum where users are creating that much or more data every day, so the solutions folks are discussing here wouldn't be practical for you. A question you need to answer for yourself is for how long are you looking to archive that data? A few years? The rest of your life?

You could have someone copy this to LTO for you (which is what most folks on this forum use) and it would be good for a predicted 30 years, but not a convenient or cost effective solution for that little data (a single LTO-6 tape holds more than 100x that much data).

You could use Time Machine as you suggested, or simply copy the edited video folder to another hard disk using Finder or any number of alternative tools like "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "Super Duper." Any of these approaches leaves your backup on a hard disk drive which can't be relied on for shelf storage for more than a few years. The best practices for content archived on hard disk drives are to make at least two or even better 3 copies, to access them periodically to ensure they are readable, and propagate the content to new media over time.

You could burn the data back to a set of DVDs but again, this is not archival - over time DVD media can become unreadable. There is so called archival quality "gold" DVD media available, but the real world life of these is dependent upon your DVD drive and is an unknown. A combination of DVD and hard disk drive backups may be a reasonable solution if you periodically check them and plan on propagating in the future.

Your best alternative at this point in time however is probably cloud storage. Apple's iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon and many others out there will look after your archives for a pretty modest fee for as little data as you have.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and just let TimeMachine backup your video and then put it up on the cloud to insure it is around for when your backup drive fails.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Kim Appleton
on Feb 24, 2016 at 9:25:29 am

Hi Tom

Thanks for your assistance and advice, I'm currently using Time Machine and trying Google Drive to see how I get on - Thanks once again :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]