FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good God, I need an archiving software solution (FCPX MAC)

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric Thompson
Good God, I need an archiving software solution (FCPX MAC)
on Jan 28, 2016 at 5:22:29 pm

The boss and I are fighting over archiving XDCam footage. We have two editor/photogs that shoot quite a bit. He wants me to just dump everything via finder to a large external drive. This seems like a huge pain to have to categorize everything every night so that the footage gets in to the proper folder. Is there a software solution that will automatically do this? I'm trying to minimize labor and duplication of video files.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Good God, I need an archiving software solution (FCPX MAC)
on Jan 28, 2016 at 6:45:13 pm

Nothing in our business is completely automatic, however there are innumerable hardware and software solutions that make archiving easier, faster, and safer. However, there's no one who can fight your battle with management if your boss is stuck on the lowest cost, least secure solution, and unwilling to finance a better, more robust, and more secure solution.

At the very least, you should be backing up to two "nearline" hard drives in addition to your online drive/RAID - in this case nearline means hard drives that aren't required to be fast enough for editing, and are thus less expensive than your online storage.

If you routinely reedit older projects and need to store/restore entire projects, then you should be thinking about the most robust longterm archive solution, which is LTO tape backup.

First however, look at the best software solutions and see what's available - The Tolis Group and Archiware offer very nice solutions for both archiving to disk and tape. Check out their solutions and see what works with your workflow, then come back here for further help and discussion - you'll get input from lots of knowledgeable folks, including some of the manufacturers.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Good God, I need an archiving software solution (FCPX MAC)
on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:33:40 am

Making FCP X archives is a foolproof and low-cost way of transferring data from the cards as they come. And then, importing cards or archives into an FCPX library is a neat (and low-cost) way of classifying footage in a way that you can actually use for editing. And you can keyword and re-keyword footage as you go depending on how it can be used.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]