FORUMS: list search recent posts

HP LTO-6 6250 (Windows 7 - Wrong parameter)

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy Christiansen
HP LTO-6 6250 (Windows 7 - Wrong parameter)
on Nov 6, 2015 at 8:08:23 am

Hi Guys,

It seems to me, i found the right forum to find answer about this issue. I litterly spent 1 week on Google, and forums, to find a solution for this issue, even with HP support, and i still cant make it Work. I did make a brief search at this forum, but i couldnt find any topics with this issue, so thats why a new topic is born! =)

It all started, when i bought a PC with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and an internal LTO-6 HP 6250 drive to go with it. We are a filminstitution, so we Work with quite big files, and get some dileverys from workshops and so on, on LTO LTFS tapes. I allso bought an ADAPTAC SAS controller to go with the lto drive, and i installed everything to perfection if i must say so =)

In Windows 7, i can see my SAS controller, installed correct, with drivers and all, i can even see me LTO tape drive mounted on it, and it does appears correct in Device Manager. So far so good.

I could not, see the drive anywhere in my adminstrator page, so i could not Mount it with a drive letter. However i was told to install the StoreOpen solutions from HP. So i did. It found the drive asap. and i manage to Mount it with E:\ and tada, there it was in my explore.

Then i inserted a tape, brand new (comes with the LTO-6 drive) i formatted it LTFS with the store open Tool. and then i tried to access the drive in explore - "WRONG PARAMETER" i cant open the mounted drive, and start to write/read on it.. I thought hmm.. okay i then try to use the LTFS Browser there comes with StoreOpen, and same issue. when i try to access the drive "WRONG PARAMETER".

Then the Google hunt began! and after 3 days, with absoulutely no correction to this problem (however i found more with same issue as me, but they didnt get any response to a solution). I Finally dialed up HP Support. I actually got a pretty descent supporter, and after 10 min, we found out that my SAS controller did not support the drive. Allright, no problem, i ordered a HP H240 Smart HBA instead. It should Work, and the LTO drive is supported on this.

So i unmounted the drive, uninstalled the ADAPTEC SAS Controller, and started from scratch. And now im running on a Windows 7 64 bit PRO with a HP H240 SAS Controller, with HP LTO-6 6250 internal drive, and have exact same issue "WRONG PARAMETER".

So Guys... Please - help if possible? Should i scratch the Store Open software, unmount the drive, and find other software to give it a drive letter, or is there somehow in Windows 7 i should be able to Mount a drive letter to it instead? Im pulling my hair every hour there goes by atm. So im open for any ideas about this issue.

Rember, it find the sas controller, it find the tape drive in device manager, everything seems correct, even mounted, i simply cant access it "Wrong parameter".

// Tommy

Return to posts index

Tommy Christiansen
Re: HP LTO-6 6250 (Windows 7 - Wrong parameter)
on Nov 11, 2015 at 10:15:33 am

Hi Guys,

I just made this work! - I had an HP supporter connecting, after using 3 days to find a solution for this problem. The made a setup in there own lab, had the same issue, and got a how to fix.

It was so simple, after we did test with a lot of things first. It is actually Windows adding/mapping a driver to the lto drive, before HP driver is installed, named "GEAR", this causing the access parameter to fail, and can be removed through the regedit.

So if you have same issue, please go to your device manager, right click on the lto drive, check for driverdetails, and see which driver it used. For me there was to hits GEAR, and HPLTO. So i just went to the regedit, to find the GEAR driver, removed it manually, made a reboot, and TADA. everything works as it should now =)

// Tommy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]