FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for .02 donations regarding storage

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan owens
Looking for .02 donations regarding storage
on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:15:29 pm

Hi,

I'm getting into freelance videography and looking to set myself up with ample storage. Here are the two options I'm back and forth between. I'd SUPER appreciate some insight from you all. I should mention that while I'm doing videography for income, I'm also a narrative filmmaker on the side.

Option A:

Akitio Thunder2 quad with 4xHGST deskstar 4tb (raid 0) (4tb deal at newegg ending today)
2xHGST deskstar 6tb for backup (raid 1)

Option B:

Samsung 850 pro 2tb
2xHGST 6tb for backup (raid 1)

We're obviously talking about an ENORMOUS difference in capacity between the two options. I'm excited about an SSD solution but concerned about the limited capacity as well as overall longevity as a video work drive. Yes, samsung offers the 10 year warranty, but the other benchmark is 300TBW. I'm trying to wrap my head around how long it will reasonably take to hit that mark and expire the warranty.

I'm also trying to find a resource that lists all of the required MB/s read speeds to stream/edit various codecs. I believe 4k proresHQ is right around 150 MB/s. Looking around for info on XAVC, Prores 4444, etc. This will impact whether I choose raid 0 or raid 5. I believe my setup will be able to achieve around 650 MB/s in raid0 and 450 MB/s in raid5. I will likely be working in 4k XAVC 8 bit when feasible (shorter projects).

I've only recently jumped into professional storage solutions and apologize for any inaccuracies you may find. I'm looking to learn and again, I appreciate your time and knowledge.

- Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]