FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting Two Cache-A Appliances

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessey Riley
Connecting Two Cache-A Appliances
on Sep 29, 2015 at 5:43:05 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect two Pro Cache-A units together and use one as the main unit and the second as just a drive. I know Cache-A used to make an add-on "sidecar" for this purpose. We make safety duplicates of our original LTO tapes using just one LTO drive - this could be a timesaver for us.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Connecting Two Cache-A Appliances
on Sep 30, 2015 at 2:55:11 pm

Sorry Jessey, Cache-A's don't work like that. Each Pro-Cache is a complete Linux server and wants to talk to its own drives - so there is no way to connect two units to do what you want.

If you're running v3.x software, you've got the Simul-copy feature which will make safety copies just as you want, but you do absolutely need an external drive connected to the SAS port on the back of the Pro-Cache in order to take advantage of that. The sidecar part of this is easy - any powered SAS connected HP LTO drive will work (i.e. an LTO-6 sidecar was an HP Ultrium 6250 External Tape Drive).

The challenge may be getting the Pro-Cache to see it - you may have to go to ProMax and get them to enable the license for a second drive and they may want to sell you the drive to make that happen. OTH, we weren't that careful about licensing so one or both of your Pro-Caches may just work when you plug in another drive. I'd recommend borrowing a drive from someone and trying it (any LTO-4, 5 or 6 will let you see if the Pro-Cache sees it). If it does see it, a drive selector will appear on your File Manager page.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Jessey Riley
Re: Connecting Two Cache-A Appliances
on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:35:28 am

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the great advice. I figured it was a long shot!

Jessey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]