FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ways to sync 2 external drive units to use with multiple Mac workstations

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Baker
Ways to sync 2 external drive units to use with multiple Mac workstations
on Sep 18, 2015 at 3:39:32 pm

I would like to use 2 external raid units that can be synced easily at the end of each day instead of using network storage. That way each editor (two of us) can sit at any workstation and have the same content to edit from. We wouldn’t get confused and accidentally work on the same project at the same time and we could share macs more easily. One Mac is more powerful than the other so it gets more work when it comes time for motion graphics and color grading, 4K and militicam but the other Mac is really only good for basic editing.
Can you think of any easy automated solutions for something like this?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Ways to sync 2 external drive units to use with multiple Mac workstations
on Sep 19, 2015 at 12:20:41 am

chronosync
carbon copy cloner
super duper
shot put pro

all cost $40 bucks - all offer free trials.

and exactly what is wrong with network storage ?
all it takes is a Mac Mini, and a dual port thunderbolt to 10G box for $500 bucks (and your storage).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Baker
on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:07:46 am
Last Edited By Jeffrey Baker on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:11:15 am

So it's an iMac with thunderbolt and a 2010 Mac Pro with FireWire. I don't think most of our editors can figure out network storage. But they do understand having there own external raid drive, and that if they somehow got synchronized each night, it wouldn't matter which workstation they sat at. Also edit speed wouldn't be compromised.

But I'm not sure how each raid unit attached to there own macs could stay synced with those software packages as I didn't think they worked that way. But I'll take a look. I have used chronosynch in the past for general backup.

When I looked into the network storage options, it seemed like special iscsi connections or 10g Ethernet was needed. And that's just too expensive for our little higher Ed edit suite budget.

Did thunderbolt to thunderbolt data transfer between systems ever make it to market? Our old Mac Pro might not have thunderbolt, but that work as a shared single raid drive solution as well.

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Sep 22, 2015 at 7:04:47 pm

Jeff,

Give me a call at 714-374-4944. Im an Account Executive at MAxx Digital and I can help answer any other questions, that bob hasn't or that you may have left out. As well as maybe find you something for storage within your budget.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Baker
on Sep 26, 2015 at 1:26:43 am

Thanks for the info Bob, a bit harsh, but thanks.
I'll be using a different forum in the future if I have further questions.
Jeff Baker
New Media
Smith College

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]