FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving with BRU PE

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Dunne
Archiving with BRU PE
on Sep 16, 2015 at 4:46:00 pm

Hey everyone. I've been using BRU PE for a little over a month now and am pretty happy with it. I'm working on revamping our archiving process and want to pick the brains of the community.

Right now when we shoot we put the footage on the server and then back the project up on a master external drive and a backup external drive. When the project is finalized we compare the server copy with the two external drives and take it off the server.

We've recently introduced LTO into our workflow so right now I've been taking all the master drives which are ready for archiving and putting them onto LTO. Now I'm running into a spot where the master drives and backup drives have projects that are finalizing at different times.

Does it make sense to keep doing append backups on those tapes? Say drive A had 4 projects that were finalized and 1 that wasn't and drive A was put onto LTO. Should I be concerned about constantly having to do incremental LTO backups for when the last project finalizes?

Appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Archiving with BRU PE
on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:45:17 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:45:55 pm

You should actually look at this as two different processes using 2 different sets of tapes (tapesets).

1> Archive completed projects. These projects are placed / appended onto tapesets that will be stored for long term retention and recovery.

2> Backup working projects. These projects are dynamic and this is where performing a full followed by incremental jobs is your safety net.

Once a working project is completed and delivered, see step 1 :). You may then rotate the working project's tapes back in for the next set of working project backups.

BTW - that applies to any process, not just BRU PE :).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
Re: Archiving with BRU PE
on Sep 16, 2015 at 9:30:15 pm

Thanks for responding Tim. Just so I know I haven't been saving the jobs through the operation window. Is that something I should be in the habit of doing? Is there a difference between doing an incremental backup this way and "appending" the tape? Is there a way to retroactively save the jobs I've done in the past?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]