FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backups sol'ns for multiple Mac environment, low to mid budget

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Maytag
Backups sol'ns for multiple Mac environment, low to mid budget
on Dec 28, 2011 at 3:39:14 pm

I've been pushing backup security in my shop, and we've just had a crucial drive failure that will probably result in having to re-do work, client delay, etc. The good news is that we're probably going to be buying a medium-term backup solution pretty quickly.

We're a small nonprofit, 4-5 production macs in a mixed-platform network (macs/pcs/more). Finance is crucially tight, and I'm guessing that we won't get much better than 2-3k to spend to tide us over for about 18-24 months. These three macs are workstation-class, lots of ongoing video & media work on all of them. I'm guessing 6TB is my limit on the bottom end, anything less will be too little, and since we're not all thunderbolt-equipped, we're probably looking either at ethernet or four individually connected storage units, not enough money for fiber solution. A fine pickle!

I have some thoughts on this, but since I know many of you have been in similar situations at one time or another, I'd see if anyone had suggested avenues I might otherwise have missed. Many thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

---
Chris Maytag
Sci. Visualization, Video & Motion Graphics
FCS & CS5

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Backups sol'ns for multiple Mac environment, low to mid budget
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:11:10 pm

For your budget about all you'll be able to afford is a NAS appliance like this one. You can use it with TimeMachine for Mac clients and its own backup tool for Windows.

Just understand that you won't be able to edit with media hosted on this class of storage.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jon Frost
Re: Backups sol'ns for multiple Mac environment, low to mid budget
on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:43:45 pm

I'd go with a G-Tech ES 6TB 4 drive solution striped for RAID 1 or RAID 5. Better to have two in RAID 5 or RAID 10 format.

Jon Frost
MeowMixMedia.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]