FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mass conversion of LTO-4 to LTO-6 tapes using BRU

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Swami Kevala
Mass conversion of LTO-4 to LTO-6 tapes using BRU
on Aug 16, 2015 at 11:10:22 am

Hello,

We have been using Bru for the last 5 years to archive all our video files to LTO-4 tapes. When we set up the system in 2010 we had purchased the Bru PE edition, but we found the GUI to be buggy, so we just ended up using the bru command line tool with our own scripts. (We have 4 standalone LTO-4 drives)

Now, we want to migrate all our data (400TB + on 650 tapes) to LTO-6 tapes. We want to do it as quickly as possible (within 2-3 months), and for this purpose we are considering purchasing a Tandberg tape library with 2 LTO-6 drives and 24 slots. We're also fed up with using scripts (especially since we now have some less techie people doing the backups/restores who would appreciate a nice GUI)

We will dump LTO-4 data to disk concurrently with our 4 LTO-4 drives. I want to know if Bru PE can be set up to run in "Doubler mode" to run back-to-back archive jobs.

Specifically, I want to be able to write 4-5 LTO-6 tapes per day, and a second backup copy for each of them (8-10 in total) (assuming 4 hrs to write each tape).

Every day I want to be able to define 5 LTO-6 archive jobs, and put 10 blank tapes in the library, and then get them to run one after the other, so that when I come back the next day all the tapes + copies are written. (Note: I don't want any files/folders to span multiple tapes. I want a single bru archive per tape)

From what I've seen in the manual, there doesn't seem to be any facility for this kind of "job-chaining". So I'm wondering if I can just schedule the jobs 4 hours apart... What happens if a scheduled job needs to run but the drives are still busy with the previous job? Does it get queued and run after it finishes, or does it just fail to run?

Am hoping the Bru PE interface has improved over the last 5 years... so we can use that. Otherwise could I use BRU Server edition for the same purpose? I would be fine to use the Windows console connected to Linux server if the interface is more usable.

Am also looking at the possibility of changing to Symantec BackupExec, since we know people who use it, and they really like it. However, we're used to Bru, and I like the way the data is stored on tape. The checksum format is easy to understand, and we have recovered data from bad tapes manually before. I doubt we could do that with Symantec.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Regards
Swami

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Mass conversion of LTO-4 to LTO-6 tapes using BRU
on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:21:15 pm

Swami,

While what you're trying to do is easily accomplished with some basic scripts, this is best discussed with our support team. Please open a support ticket at your convenience and we will be happy to discuss your options.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]